The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
DRS (later SF, now SRF), Switzerland (German-language), 1987; major flooding in the Alps in the lead story:

Last edited by WW Update on 2 January 2017 4:07am - 2 times in total
WH
whoiam989
Mr Q posted:
How strange. I assume there was some kind of market testing, which revealed scepticism about the CCTV brand (perhaps given alternative uses in English for that abbreviation, or a lack of "trust" in Chinese state media). But CGTN doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

My first thought was the associations with Closed Circuit TV as well, not exactly the image you want to portray when trying to make a communist state seem more human!

I may have mentioned lots of pages earlier, but The Chaser (notorious outside Australia for their APEC Bin Laden prank) made a joke about the initials when Sky News Australia claimed their coverage of the Federal Election 2010 was also simulcast by CCTV.
WW
WW Update
Twenty years ago, ARD's Tagesschau got a new look. Here's a before-and-after:

JA
james-2001
I think they were using that look well into the late 00s as well.
WW
WW Update
Chicago's WBBM takes a look at its historic old studios, the site of the 1960 Nixon-Kennedy debate and one of the first newsroom sets anywhere:

QN
Quatorzine Neko
The same person who did the Radio-Canada's Téléjournal intro compilation also did one for the other major French-speaking network of Canada: TVA.

I think the current intro for Le TVA Nouvelles is very good, way better than the public counterpart Le Téléjournal. Speaking of which, I really hope Radio-Canada prepares a new intro for Le Téléjournal, and I hope it happens very soon, because those three red rings look yucky – even compared to older intros from the 90's.

Also, the second intro in the Téléjournal compilation is surprisingly good for the era, mostly thanks to a very efficient logo with an original way of animating it.
QN
Quatorzine Neko
Philippines: some idents and the first minute of People's Television's NewsLife, on 19 July 2012.

Featuring a quite pompous line by anchor Robert Tan.

WW
WW Update

Featuring a quite pompous line by anchor Robert Tan.

Jeez. They could have picked one slogan and stuck with it. It reminds me of this (otherwise decent) 1992 news intro that had about three slogans too many:

TV2/Fyn Nyhendskanalen; TV2's news channel for the island of Funen, Denmark; 2017 -- with an unusual countdown:

Last edited by WW Update on 6 January 2017 6:34am
MQ
Mr Q
TV2/Fyn Nyhendskanalen; TV2's news channel for the island of Funen, Denmark; 2017 -- with an unusual countdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqZH2QzWncU

The name leaves a bit to be desired. "TV 2 Fyn Nyhedskanalen" (TV 2 Funen News Channel) is a bit of a mouthful. Also slightly irritated by the apparent mismatched logo text in the DOG - the N in "FYN" is more slanted than the N starting "NYHEDSKANALEN". (Note this isn't a problem for the title card at 0:46 in the clip. But I'm pedantic.

I like the simple style of many of the full screens - while the overall package is derived from the national TV 2 Nyheder / News, I reckon it makes a few improvements.
RK
Rkolsen
Not a video but a screen shot from WJZ. They're owned by CBS but for some reason they're the only station in their group that doesn't not follow their branding AT all. Reportedly the station has done studies saying viewers don't want change. For the past few years they've been in a close second place to WBAL (whose on their fourth set in the 20 years WJZ got theirs) and feel comfortable in their place. If I had to guess WJZ viewers are dedicated to the station and there's little risk at loosing them.

Anyway since they don't use standard graphics we get things like this:

The graphic artists they have are extremely talented and I believe this is more of a management decision. Prior to the redesigned chyrons showing "Fowlerville Michigan" they matched the the closings ticker down below. For some reason it wasn't fixed.
CH
Charles
You'd think the old folks watching who supposedly prefer this look would have a hard time reading the stretched text. My God, I have 20/20 vision and it's not easy to read.
BR
Brekkie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqZH2QzWncU

So an island with a population of less than half a million can manage a news channel but London can't.

Newer posts