TV Home Forum

BBC Two 50th Year Presentation

90s idents return! Split from BBC Two Rebrand and Onwards (April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CY
cylon6
All these years later and the idents still look good and fresh. The mark of a great ident.

Truly timeless.
WP
WillPS
Fantastic to see. I just wonder with such a long playout period if they're planning to plug a gap before introducing something new? Fair do's if so; and if not... well I hope the playout period for these becomes indefinite.
WP
WillPS

Love the way the box logo has been implemented to change shade according to the colour behind Cool

Just seen this thanks to Andrew's excellent captures: http://ident.gallery/player.php?id=BBC2NI-2014-ID-2AT50-WAVEDAY-1

Looks just brilliant. So clean, you'd have no need to believe it was 15ish years old if you hadn't seen it before.
VM
VMPhil
Wave, still brilliant, hard to believe these idents only lasted less than two years. Wouldn't happen today of course!
GO
gonzo

Love the way the box logo has been implemented to change shade according to the colour behind Cool

Just seen this thanks to Andrew's excellent captures: http://ident.gallery/player.php?id=BBC2NI-2014-ID-2AT50-WAVEDAY-1

Looks just brilliant. So clean, you'd have no need to believe it was 15ish years old if you hadn't seen it before.

It's just stunning. Stunning.
MK
Mr Kite
^^ That was utterly tragic, Phil. Clearly, when they were introduced, the idea was to carry on indefinitely with how they'd been going since 1991; just adding some and retiring some along the way. Then someone got other ideas.

They look stunning. I've never seen the Dog ident look so good before. Personally, as much as I like it, it's not even in my top five favourite of these idents but it's the one everyone remembers who was a kid in the nineties. Hopefully it'll capture the imagination of the kids of today and get some of them interested in this sort of thing, perhaps as a career.
JO
Jonny
Really hope that gets an outing in HD... the cleverness of the box makes me think it's likely an NI exclusive.
AG
AxG
I wouldn't mind the return of the 2001 idents.
MK
Mr Kite
Fantastic to see. I just wonder with such a long playout period if they're planning to plug a gap before introducing something new? Fair do's if so; and if not... well I hope the playout period for these becomes indefinite.

Maybe they'll just make new additions. Adding some whilst retiring some was a formula that worked well, so much that the substantial rebranding of the BBC in 1997 barely affected BBC Two. It means that there's no pressure to replace the entire set wholesale every five years or so.
GO
gonzo
AxG posted:
I wouldn't mind the return of the 2001 idents.

It's the sort of package you could redo with about 8 new idents that wouldn't cost that much. You have to expand them, but they're just stunning. I saw Wave Day and I was left completely stunned by how wonderful they look.
VM
VMPhil
Jonny posted:
Really hope that gets an outing in HD... the cleverness of the box makes me think it's likely an NI exclusive.

That's so subtle I only just noticed it watching back on my desktop. Brilliant. If network show it they'll probably just colour it black like it was on the original ident with the 1997-2001 strip logo.

It's interesting that 'Duck' is being shown with a white logo too, when it was first introduced the strip 'BBC TWO' logo was coloured white, but when the BBC website address was added in 2000 they changed the colour to black, even though as shown from this updated ident the white doesn't really clash too badly with the soap suds background.

EDIT: As The TV Room so handily illustrates:

http://thetvroom.com/images/pool-0/083/main-001-13.jpg http://thetvroom.com/images/pool-1/165/4-3/main-001-e-27.jpg
Last edited by VMPhil on 24 July 2014 12:03am
WP
WillPS
Am I on my own in thinking the 2001 idents were inferior both to the idents they replaced and the set which replaced them in 2007 (before all the mucking about)?

Newer posts