TV Home Forum

Daybreak - the launch onwards

From 6am (September 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Sorry, just to clarify my national emergency comment, at the time the story was just breaking and there was nothing to add other than earthquake, where, what size. Only one person had been confirmed dead when Daybreak came off air. That's why I think the balance was right, because the scale wasn't apparent until later in the morning. Hindsight sometimes doesn't work too favourably.

Sorry - that's just 'churnalism' isn't it? Because the death toll is only being officially reported as 1, that means it isn't a story? Don't do any original journalism of your own? Don't believe what you are seeing? In the early days of natural disasters experience tells you that death tolls are no guide to the severity of what is to come.

The pictures appearing well before Daybreak was off-air told you that the death toll was going to be huge - even in a developed country. It was clear this was a huge story of major significance.

Breakfast realised this.

Quote:

I do find 'Lorraine' a little disappointing though, the whole point of going live daily was so that it can be more topical instead of what shade of lipstick to wear with your shoes.

Difficult. If you consider Lorraine part of Daybreak, then it should have been pulled completely, and decent coverage of the events in Japan continued.

If you don't consider it part of Daybreak, or you don't consider 0600-0930(ish) a News service on ITV, then Lorraine should have carried on ignoring the events in Japan (though being sensitive to crass stuff that would cause offence in context)

That's a decision for ITV to take.
PE
Pete Founding member
To be fair to daybreak, I heard Chris Moyles describing the tv pictures he was watching at Radio 1 and told people to turn to BBC News to watch the pictures. I turned to BBC Breakfast and they were talking about gardeners world!

BBC News is the BBC News Channel, not BBC One. He'd have said BBC Breakfast if that's what he'd meant.

Perhaps it would be clearer if the channel had a better name which made it clear you were referring to channel 80 and not the show on BBC1 at the time...
NG
noggin Founding member
Pete posted:
To be fair to daybreak, I heard Chris Moyles describing the tv pictures he was watching at Radio 1 and told people to turn to BBC News to watch the pictures. I turned to BBC Breakfast and they were talking about gardeners world!

BBC News is the BBC News Channel, not BBC One. He'd have said BBC Breakfast if that's what he'd meant.

Perhaps it would be clearer if the channel had a better name which made it clear you were referring to channel 80 and not the show on BBC1 at the time...

Channel numbers are irrelevant - they vary by platform.
BA
Badger264
Sorry - that's just 'churnalism' isn't it? Because the death toll is only being officially reported as 1, that means it isn't a story? Don't do any original journalism of your own? Don't believe what you are seeing? In the early days of natural disasters experience tells you that death tolls are no guide to the severity of what is to come.

The pictures appearing well before Daybreak was off-air told you that the death toll was going to be huge - even in a developed country. It was clear this was a huge story of major significance.

Breakfast realised this.

I'm comparing the disaster to recent disasters which had just as powerful images but didn't have as much coverage due to the death toll. Judging by what others are saying, Breakfast didn't abandon much of their running order in favour of rolling news either.

The death counts in Australia, Brazil and New Zealand were all fairly low for what seemed to be quite extreme natural disasters, so no I don't think its always predictable.

Its a little bit awkard for Daybreak (and BBC Breakfast for that matter) because it happened over the weekend, and so now they face the dilemma of going into coverage overkill but only inevitably telling us what we already know, or sidelining it again. Either way its a lose lose situation, although if Richard & Cordelia are out there, they have a very good opportunity to ressurect the newshour anchored from Tokyo and it would be wasted opportunity if they didn't.

Quote:
Difficult. If you consider Lorraine part of Daybreak, then it should have been pulled completely, and decent coverage of the events in Japan continued.

If you don't consider it part of Daybreak, or you don't consider 0600-0930(ish) a News service on ITV, then Lorraine should have carried on ignoring the events in Japan (though being sensitive to crass stuff that would cause offence in context)

That's a decision for ITV to take.

This Morning and Loose Women both acknowledged it.
Last edited by Badger264 on 13 March 2011 1:43pm
PE
Pete Founding member

Channel numbers are irrelevant - they vary by platform.[/quote]

That post was meant to suggest they should have kept the News 24 name rather than "BBC News" which remains as unclear as it did on day one.
BA
Badger264
Any normal viewer probably doesn't differentiate between BBC Breakfast and BBC News, especially considering the BBC News name is on screen!
PE
Pete Founding member
Any normal viewer probably doesn't differentiate between BBC Breakfast and BBC News, especially considering the BBC News name is on screen!

Yes, hence me saying, "you can see more coverage on BBC News 24" is more useful than saying "BBC News" as they would just turn to Breakfast and not see as detailed coverage.
ET
ethan8081
Japan coverage looks good this morning. One thing that amazed me, no showbiz in TOTH. Also what have they done with bottom of the windows
RO
rob Founding member
The blinds are a quarter of the way up the window, so the London view can still be seen.

A few technical issues with Richard Gaisford's report and live interview as well, but good coverage so far.
JA
jamiehotrocks
Adrian and Christine both handling this really sensitively and well. It does feel that they are both feeling uncomfortable linking to the Olivier Awards immediately after discussing the main story today. Re the blinds, I'm sure they are new - the others went top to bottom, these seemingly go bottom to top and they just feature the boxed Daybreak logo rather than different sized words, it looks good, I think the new tv screen is here to stay too, it now seems a regular fixture. Good to see that they can handle big news and not be drawn to the showbiz. Is anyone worried about Sue? Not seen her for ages....
AN
anoilyrag
Windows and blinds - The windows have a photo-electric film which can be lightened. They are dark in the normal state, made light by applying a voltage. The blinds are floor to ceiling, can be positioned how you like, and are motorised so can be remotely controlled.
Sue Jameson is on leave until next week.
Last edited by anoilyrag on 14 March 2011 8:17am
EJ
EJNutz
So Daybreak will have a new sofa next week after the current one was obtained by Ant & Dec for auction on behalf of Comic Relief.

Newer posts