The Newsroom

New Look Andrew Marr Show

(October 2015)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
That is BAD for ITV, and for Murder she wrote.
AN
Andrew Founding member
That is BAD for ITV, and for Murder she wrote.

When Peston on Sunday starts they won't have much to improve on then will they.
IS
Inspector Sands
Moz posted:
Echoes of these Breakfast News titles which were, in my opinion, the best news titles ever created...

Really? They're pretty good (even with the war montage) but the best ever?
BR
Brekkie
How well does it rate though and is it doing any better than the 9am hour of Breakfast on the Saturday. For me Marr is one of those shows loved more by politicians than the viewers.

This Saturday's edition of Breakfast attracted 1.30m viewers (32.3% share) between 6am and 10am.
Yesterday's edition of Breakfast drew 0.93m viewers (32.8% share) between 6am and 9am.
The Marr show attracted 1.62m viewers (23.6% share)

Thanks for that. The share shows then that Breakfast would fair better in the slot than Marr, but ITV's ratings show as I've been saying for years how they suffer from weekend daytime now being a huge wasteland of nothingness. The kids content and PSB requirements used to give it such structure at weekends, but now they give people little reason to tune in until the evening. However Murder she Wrote and Jeremy Kyle reruns probably cost less than 10% of the cost of a live political show.

It will be interesting to see where they place Peston on Sunday and I wouldn't be surprised if they get it wrong in the first instance then try it in different slots. If it goes in the breakfast franchise wouldn't be surprised if it's at 8am to keep out of Marr's way completely.
BA
Bail Moderator
Moz posted:
Echoes of these Breakfast News titles which were, in my opinion, the best news titles ever created...

The graphical opening of those reminds me of the best news titles ever...

SW
Steve Williams
Re : the logo - the only place I can see it there, unless I'm being very dense, is on the side of a lens. Would you really expect a re-shoot to change a logo (when the cameras in use may well have still had the old logo on them anyway?) It wasn't as if it was a burned in logo that could be quickly replaced in an edit.

Well, yes I would, bearing in mind they were still using it in 2002, five years after the logo change. Live and Kicking changed the BBC logo in their titles the week it happened, and that was far less noticeable. Surely it would have been harder to change it if was a graphical logo because it would mean remaking the whole titles, instead of just replacing one shot? I know I should have had that argument in 2002.

Thanks for that. The share shows then that Breakfast would fair better in the slot than Marr.

I don't think it shows that at all, does it? Yes, Breakfast has a bigger share but that's over four hours including at 6am when the only other alternatives are ancient repeats or a blank screen. Marr is shown against Saturday Kitchen Best Bites and Sunday Brunch and other programmes that people actually want to watch. And in any case, the share and ratings say nothing about the audience profile which also needs to be taken into account for a show like this. It's not just how many watch it, it's who watches it.

13 days later

ST
Stuart
I'm still not too happy about the set furniture changes regarding the 'coffee table' on Marr.

Removing the bookcase doesn't work for me, as you can see the pile of newspapers next to Andrew during the early part of the programme, or the shuffling feet of the guests later on whenever they do wide shots.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2cp40w5.jpg
MI
m_in_m
I'm still not too happy about the set furniture changes regarding the 'coffee table' on Marr.

Removing the bookcase doesn't work for me, as you can see the pile of newspapers next to Andrew during the early part of the programme, or the shuffling feet of the guests later on whenever they do wide shots.

I have to agree that it looks too messy and the previous table was much better for hiding it. It would be nice if the new table could be adapted somehow on the front.

35 days later

DT
DTV
I notice today that the icy white lightbox has been replaced by the orange that was there previously, maybe just the selection of a wrong template but suits the programme a lot more.

Newer posts