The Newsroom

Saif Al Islam Gadaffi Captured

Rolling Coverage (January 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GE
thegeek Founding member
cat posted:
Technical question: Sky seem to be the only big international broadcaster able to go to Tripoli at just about any time with a proper live feed rather than a streaming/webcam type set up. Is there a reason for this?
Brought their own dish? I believe that the BBC have been using pooled uplinks (APTN and EBU) for their high quality uplinks, and a BGAN-style IP link for the low-quality ones (eg on the News Channel)

The BBC do have a flyaway dish or two for deployment worldwide - but I'm not sure how easy it is to FedEx flight cases from Tokyo to Tripoli at the moment.
MJ
mjismail
Al Jazeera English's coverage has been consistently excellent throughout the whole uprising in Libya.
Take a look at the below video for an example- it was during a live with James Bays in Ajdabiya (scene of heavy fighting today)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz12JbYEMsk&feature=channel_video_title
RI
richardhall99
Top reporting there from James Bays - always thought he deserved some more recognition for his work and a bigger platform than 5 and aljazeera
BA
bilky asko
cat posted:
Technical question: Sky seem to be the only big international broadcaster able to go to Tripoli at just about any time with a proper live feed rather than a streaming/webcam type set up. Is there a reason for this?
Brought their own dish? I believe that the BBC have been using pooled uplinks (APTN and EBU) for their high quality uplinks, and a BGAN-style IP link for the low-quality ones (eg on the News Channel)

The BBC do have a flyaway dish or two for deployment worldwide - but I'm not sure how easy it is to FedEx flight cases from Tokyo to Tripoli at the moment.

I suppose it would be to Sky's advantage to have their own dish, so they can say that they had HD coverage of the whole uprising. They'll have something to advertise with to death once it's over.
DE
derek500

I suppose it would be to Sky's advantage to have their own dish, so they can say that they had HD coverage of the whole uprising.

Or perhaps to offer their HD subscribers a better service? I haven't seen a lot of HD reporting on the Libya story, mainly the 'lives'.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Tim's on his way out tonight

Travelling to Libya via Cairo tonight - will tweet when possible - not sure phone coverage #Libya #bbc
from ……..
BBCTIMWILLCOX ON TWITTER.COM
29-Mar-2011 @ 11:47
JW
JamesWorldNews
Not much chance of someone spraying him with beer in Benghazi. Tim might enjoy getting out to Libya for a rest, after those demonstrations in London at the weekend.

He's increasingly getting out and about. Logical choice, since he's recognised by both national and international viewers.

Orla Guerin is also now in Libya.
JP
jpeg987
Jeremy Thompson now filing reports from Tripoli in addition to regular lives. I wonder is Lisa Holland making the long trip home after her lengthy stay reporting from Tripoli for the last several weeks? While I never really rated her before, she came into her own broadcasting from Libya - really excelled.
LJ
Live at five with Jeremy
I think Lisa may still be in Tripoli. She was prominent in the footage taken of the protestor that entered the journalists hotel a day or two ago. Orla Guerin and Sam Kiley are filing some remarkable reports fro, the front line.
FO
fodg09
Quote:
Here are some links to stories and blogs from Sky's foreign affairs correspondent Lisa Holland (who has now returned to the UK after virtual round-the-clock reporting from Tripoli for many weeks) and Sky's presenter Jeremy Thompson who is anchoring our coverage from the Libyan capital

http://blogs.news.sky.com/viewpoint/Post:14e4d9aa-15bc-49e3-a10f-a5ab3355cb74

41 days later

LJ
Live at five with Jeremy
Mark Stone who is reporting from Tripoli for Sky News has made some really interesting and informative video blogs/diaries as to his working conditions etc. Very interesting stuff to watch for anyone interested in presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkStoneSkyNews?blend=11&ob=5

104 days later

JW
JamesWorldNews
Things are definitely hotting up again in Libya, this time in the capital, Tripoli. For the first time ever in this conflict, insurgents have apparently taken control of some parts of the outer perimeter, according to tv news. I wonder if we will see an array of senior correspondents once again mobilized to Libya.

CNN have Mathew Chance and, I think, Ivan Watson on the ground. Whilst Michael Holmes was also recently in Libya.

BBC coverage currently led by Mathew Price, and Alex Crawford (fittingly) for Sky News.

I am quite surprised that Libya is still admitting entry of foreign reporters into Libya. Very interesting developments ahead in the next few days?

Newer posts