The Newsroom

BBC News Presenter Count 1967-2020

Presented by Rolling News and mccanmat. With cmthwtv and News96. (May 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
"daddy, what did you do during the Coronavirus outbreak of 2020?'
Confused
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 9 June 2020 1:14pm
JW
JamesWorldNews
"daddy, what did you do during the Coronavirus loutbreak of 2020?'
Confused

“I made a right count of myself, son”.
:-(
A former member
BBC News certainly used to be very... grey.

What do you mean? Do you mean old? If you do most of them at the time were probably no older than most of the newsreaders on screen now. Or do you mean dull? I agree I could not really imagine many of them presenting BBC News in 2020 which is undoubtedly much faster in pace and style, but I'm sure some would have adopted. I mean, look at Huw! Just as suited to reading the news in 2020 as he was in 1995.

Grey as in dull and stale.
BR
Brekkie
One for the mockers but wonder how BBC News would have looked if they hadn't been so brave with the 1999 revamp and instead just evolved what they had.

As for presenters - crazy really that in a 4 year period you had a complete change in the presenting line up on BBC1 for the main bulletins.
RN
Rolling News
One for the mockers but wonder how BBC News would have looked if they hadn't been so brave with the 1999 revamp and instead just evolved what they had.

As for presenters - crazy really that in a 4 year period you had a complete change in the presenting line up on BBC1 for the main bulletins.

Crazy really it happened pretty much overnight. One week in 1999 for the Six you had Martyn, Anna, Moira, Andrew, Jennie and Justin all on rota. Then the next week it was just Huw for 4 nights (who was a bit of an unknown at that point) and then Fiona the other night. All with a brand new and extremely different look as well. Brave is an understatement, but it certainly worked and from what I've seen, was definitely needed.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Indeed. That particular week in 1999 was, sadly, signaling the beginning of the end for Moira in particular as far as mainstream bulletins were concerned.

She was then virtually absent for a good few months, before being appointed on the relaunched Breakfast at the turn of the year 2000 (Jeremy and Sophie era).

Beyond that, it was rare to see Moira on anything other than Breakfast with Frost and weekend bulletins.

But I vaguely recall she did do a couple of weekends (including the late bulletins at 10) from the clamshell era. Can’t find them anywhere though.

Sorry. Carry on. As you were.

#MoiraNostalgia
GH
Ghost
Indeed. That particular week in 1999 was, sadly, signaling the beginning of the end for Moira in particular as far as mainstream bulletins were concerned.

She was then virtually absent for a good few months, before being appointed on the relaunched Breakfast at the turn of the year 2000 (Jeremy and Sophie era).

Beyond that, it was rare to see Moira on anything other than Breakfast with Frost and weekend bulletins.

But I vaguely recall she did do a couple of weekends (including the late bulletins at 10) from the clamshell era. Can’t find them anywhere though.

Sorry. Carry on. As you were.

#MoiraNostalgia

Here’s a clip!
MC
mccanmat
I think around that time Chris Lowe sometimes presented Sunday night news as well
RN
Rolling News

Chris Lowe never did the Six during the virtual era. His last appearance on the Six was in early 1993 before the launch. His main role in the 90s seemed to be daytime/early evening weekend and bank holiday bulletins. Then after the 1999 relaunch, he (like Moira) seemed to disappear for about a year before turning up on BBC News 24 doing weekend evenings.
JW
JamesWorldNews
BIG MOIRA!! Love that clip. And what animation was that into the opening wide shot? Classy. Is it Studio N6 or TC7? (Or neither).
EX
excel99

IIRC, she was the initial replacement for Darren Jordan on Saturdays for a couple of months. Sadly her final primetime news appearances
CM
cmthwtv
I liked Darren Jordan - particularly on Breakfast. It was a shame when he left.

Newer posts