TV Home Forum

UTV rebrand

New look to bring it in line with ITV (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
denton
I think that the UTV Live late news was "almost" in HD.

I know that the CSO backdrop is normally in HD, but the camera on the newsreader is fuzzy SD. But tonight (admittedly it's the first time in ages that I've watched it) it looked like the newsreader was in HD too! Frank's weather was certainly still SD, and the graphics all appeared to still be SD too.

Not a lot to get excited about, and rather odd of them to upgrade one camera... especially as they are moving next year.

I noticed that too.

Don’t the short bulletins come from what was the IVC studio? Wasn’t that HD?

No. SD.
AE
AlexEdohHD13
On UTV a few moments ago, we had Julian introing the ITV News over an *ITV* ident rather than a UTV one.

Correct ident - UTV usually uses the Rhythmic Gymnastics one for the news - but as you say, ITV branded - and in glorious upscaled SD too!

"Now, here's tonight's late national and international news. You're watching ITV!" Laughing
JK
JKDerry
UTV is dead. I do not know why ITV keep the UTV name. UTV is now 95% ITV branding with the token gesture of keeping the UTV name. It is bound to go soon, as did Channel Television in the Channel Islands.
:-(
A former member
Yet there made UTV sting for Im a Celeb.
JO
Jon

That’s becuase it’s still called UTV and they want to maximise the ratings. I don’t understand what your point is trying to prove.
:-(
A former member
Jon posted:

That’s becuase it’s still called UTV and they want to maximise the ratings. I don’t understand what your point is trying to prove.

Did you read the post above mine?
MR
mr_vivian
There's a 98% chance the utv name will go within 2 years.

When I seen UTV Live described as "ITV Ulster" on a itv survey it may not hint that it will be the new name of the channel but it does suggest to me they are trying to steer away from the UTV name to make it more streamlined like the rest of itv.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Lots of experts here throwing percentages around for no apparent reason.
MR
mr_vivian
Well Yes... there's a lot of experts on this forum

Trying not to piss off either side of the political divide is hard for the BBC and ITV in Northern Ireland. Foyle was a perfect choice for the Derry/Londonderry station. Ulster was the only available name really for the BBC. Now that Radio Ulster is widely available on the Irish republic, the name means not much.

And Northern Ireland isn't universally accepted either. There are many unionists that would prefer Ulster.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Had I said 98% of unionists prefer the name Ulster, you may have had a point.
SP
Spencer
73.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
bilky asko, Si-Co and mr_vivian gave kudos
MR
mr_vivian
Had I said 98% of unionists prefer the name Ulster, you may have had a point.

lol I take your point on the percentage thing. I'm trying to indicate that I've got a strong feeling it'll happen ...but.... I'm not certain.

Anyway, probably digging a bigger hole here. Let's just wait and see xD

Newer posts