TV Home Forum

The X Factor and Strictly

Split from New look BBC One - Jan 2017 (September 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
That was the equivalent of about 12 million viewers in those days though.

I know Gladiators was part of a different landscape. The point I was making is how ridiculous it seems during this day and age to think 6 million was once considered low enough to cancel a show. As fanoftv says, Sky spoiled the revamp by completely missing the charm of the original. But I'm sure ITV would find a way to spoil it if they tried reviving it themselves.

It's a shame really. I remember watching it as a kid wanting to go on there myself, battling Wolf and the likes and then running the eliminator. Nowadays kids watch TV wanting money and fame.
TL
toby lerone 2016
Having said that, a modern habit TXF and BGT have been getting up to is staging and scripting the most menial shots of somebody in an audience saying something like "I can't believe we're actually here" or somebody waiting for an audition and saying to whoever's with them something as awe-inspiring as "I can't wait to meet Simon". The fact that these people are mic'd up and the shot is perfectly stage is beyond patronising.

I don't like that on BGT or X Factor, as I said I watched X Factor a few weeks ago now the waiting room are watching the auditions which is fair enough but they are getting the other acts to comment along which in my opinion is trying to make the show like Gogglebox.

X Factor bounced back above 6m last night so there is still life in the old dog, but maybe they should move it entirely to Sunday out of the way of Strictly.

In the last few years the Saturday show has been the problem, the Sunday show while not beating Strictly has been doing better which is why they tried to do an eviction a few years ago but that didn't help.
JB
JasonB
Is there a reason why we need to nights of auditions?
TV
thetvman
Is there a reason why we need to nights of auditions?

It makes sense to do both days on a 'business' point-of-view. They don't get the massive ratings they once did, so showing 2 episodes a week will make up their advertising revenue. Sunday seems to actually do better, maybe as people are out on a Saturday and more people at home on a Sunday evening? It makes complete sense that they do 2 live shows with both performances and evictions both nights and cut down the live-shows (the most expensive part). Also, I wonder what the set will be like this year, as they have moved. I get the feeling they might go for a 'rustic modern' bit like the audition rooms.
BR
Brekkie
Been expecting a new set every year since 2011 so expecting the same old thing again.
TV
thetvman
Been expecting a new set every year since 2011 so expecting the same old thing again.

I think they will this year as they are in a new studio, would make sense to change it up now and I would of thought that this will be the last x factor set we will ever see. I suspect it will go with their new rustic feel audition rooms.
:-(
A former member
What on Earth are you on about with this “rustic” nonsense?
DE88, dbl and Lou Scannon gave kudos
DB
dbl
If that's rustic, then I consider a latte rustic.
DE88 and Lou Scannon gave kudos
TL
toby lerone 2016
Saying we have this thread I will post the ratings for the 2 shows every week

Strictly Come Dancing - 9.28m (Peak 10.16m at 8pm)

X Factor - 4.97m (Peak 5.78m at 9.10pm)
* Includes +1
DE
DE88
Saying we have this thread I will post the ratings for the 2 shows every week

Strictly Come Dancing - 9.28m (Peak 10.16m at 8pm)

X Factor - 4.97m (Peak 5.78m at 9.10pm)
* Includes +1

I'm tempted to post a certain scene from Thunderbird 6. I really am... Embarassed Embarassed Wink
BR
Brekkie
And now with no Lottery quiz or running of Doctor Who or equivalent looks like Strictly will run to 8.40 or 8.50 most weeks, though they're so far ahead now you're not even seeing the usual complaints about the BBC eating into The X Factor's time slot.
toby lerone 2016 and DE88 gave kudos
AN
Andrew Founding member
What's funny is that the BBC News website keeps running stories every week about how Strictly has won "this week's ratings battle", it was one of the main ones on the front page earlier.

I suppose the BBC would kind of wish it was still a bit closer, as when it was a battle and they won, they and all the papers can go on about it. Now it isn't even a battle, nobody mentions it, Strictly doesn't get all the positive winning PR and they have to run a non-story every week themselves instead

Newer posts