TV Home Forum

The Late Late Gay Byrne Irish Television Thread

Irish TV legend passes away (October 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JK
JKDerry
The Late Late Show must be the last remaining live talk show on prime time television anywhere. Over two hours long, and all live. If that was the BBC, ITV, NBC etc it would all be pre-recorded earlier in the evening.

RTE do love their traditions. Including the Saturday night live talk show alternative to the Late Late, currently hosted by the world's worst talk show host Ray D'arcy.
FB
FBC
The update to the set is a bit of a welcome surprise, actually. I always found the old one a bit gloomy.
BK
bkman1990
Ryan Tubridy kept to his promise that he got a new chair for the show. He also got a new couch for the show as well. They are both coloured in green. The twitter handle got updated to include the new look. They also have an instagram account up and running this year. It is called latelaterte.

https://www.instagram.com/latelaterte/?igshid=15ly1dwrziiab
BK
bkman1990
TLLS Facebook Handle

TI
TIGHazard
Does the full show ever end up on the RTE Player? Or is just the clips?

Clicking on the show gives me the Toy Show from last year. Above it, next broadcast: Saturday 7th September 2019, 9:35PM.

Yet you look at the RTE schedule, it's MBB. "RTE Live" has a huge blank section from 9:35, so I assume it's that but if you go back to yesterday it shows the show in it's place.
JK
JKDerry
The RTE Player is probably one of the things at RTE which is going to be "reviewed" by their Director General this October. It is a really useless player, and needs to be relaunched properly, with all Irish made content provided internationally.
TV
TVLand
The RTE Player is probably one of the things at RTE which is going to be "reviewed" by their Director General this October. It is a really useless player, and needs to be relaunched properly, with all Irish made content provided internationally.

How is it useless? The RTÉ Player was only relaunched earlier this year, and has improved massively from what it was. And, Irish made content is already available on RTÉ Player International.
chinamug, AJB39 and Brekkie gave kudos
BA
Ballyboy
RTE should show some bbc panel show greats like have i got news for you and mock the week and would i lie to you. it would boost the ratings
NG
noggin Founding member
RTE should show some bbc panel show greats like have i got news for you and mock the week and would i lie to you. it would boost the ratings

All those shows are made by Indies though - so RTÉ would have to acquire them from the programme makers (as I think sales to a broadcaster in Ireland would not be covered by the BBC's licensing rights - though broadcast in Ireland by the BBC is), who would no doubt want a reasonable price for them, so they wouldn't neccessarily be that cheap.
BA
Ballyboy
ah. i'm shocked rte2 doesn't show Seth McFarlane's work. maybe they have to acquire them too. did 3e used to show it all?
NG
noggin Founding member

Ultimately RTE could become the first example of the scaling back of large European public broadcasters. The BBC has needed to take similar action for years but tends to buckle under public pressure. In the long term I believe almost all European PSBs will operate with one TV channel, 1 or 2 radio stations and a small digital offering of some kind. We shall see!

RTE wouldn't be the first. DR (Danmarks Radio in Denmark) have already had to make service cuts due to significant funding changes. Radio stations have closed, TV stations have merged or moved online (c.f. BBC Three) etc.
chinamug, Brekkie and tightrope78 gave kudos
BK
bkman1990
Clare McNamara's post match interview with James Ryan on RTÉ2 was simulcast on Channel 4 today with the RTÉ Sport microphone cropped out.

Newer posts