TV Home Forum

Channel Television during the 1979 ITV Strike

How did it continue broadcasting? (June 2019)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
I can remember it, I think unbelievably it was posted by C W*****iams, about the only real bit of pres he ever posted.

I think even then he stole it from the MHP Private Parts.
SC
Si-Co
I can remember it, I think unbelievably it was posted by C W*****iams, about the only real bit of pres he ever posted.

I think even then he stole it from the MHP Private Parts.

I’ve looked on MHP and couldn’t find it - but I’ve definitely seen it somewhere before.
JA
james-2001
I found it, eventually:

http://pp.meldrum.co.uk/show.asp?id=8484
JK
JKDerry

Eh how do we watch it exactly?? I can not access it
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

Eh how do we watch it exactly?? I can not access it

Need to be a member of PP to see the files.
I'm not one but I know its by invitation only.
NL
Ne1L C
I think the video was from Thames. It's Peter Marshall doing the vo.

(Never thought that he who shall not be named would be mentioned here)
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member

It is not banned.
Except when its accompanied by bitter cynical laughter. Then its compulsory to rip into it Wink
JA
james-2001

Doesn't mean the video's from Thames, it's Thames who were networking the continuity that night so he'd have been heard everywhere.
NL
Ne1L C

Doesn't mean the video's from Thames, it's Thames who were networking the continuity that night so he'd have been heard everywhere.

Hmm. There was another video that had both BBC Yorks/YTV footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w81MnwtAOcQ
Last edited by Ne1L C on 31 July 2019 11:56pm
MA
Markymark

If you look at the national version from Thames, there's a 'V' transition from the end of the trailer into the clock, so Thames very likely arranged the junctions that night to allow local CA within their dirty national pres feed
IS
Inspector Sands
Notice that the only clips in the menu promo are for programmes that Thames would have had locally. Presumably no chance of getting a clip of that nights Coronation Street or 321 sent down for the edit
SW
Steve Williams
Well I am a bit surprised, was it just continuity, as they must have just aired the entire return night schedule from London?

It wasn't really proper continuity on Yorkshire, they did an announcement at 5.40 before handing over to the networked service from Thames. Presumably that was the case in other regions. But Tony Currie has said here that STV did their own continuity that evening, and even an in-vision closedown, although it looked crap because the camera hadn't been properly lined-up for twelve weeks.

It does say somewhere on Wikipedia that Westward came back two days before everyone else and did Westward Diary on Monday and Tuesday (and presumably no other programmes). I find that a bit hard to believe and I've not found any proof of that anywhere.

Newer posts