TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AR
Argybargy
Although for something so new kind of a shame. Having a horrid thought though of them keeping the regular idents with the Barry White-esque songs of recent years.

Nah, they'll definitely have a new one this year. And it's about bloody time!!
CY
cylon6
You know something? The more I watch that new mixed paint ident, the more I like it! The mixture of different colours (it should mix more), the light actually reflecting off it and causing a shine, the music. A very clever computer animation.
CY
cylon6
An FYI. No idea when it'll arrive but look out for a new ident called Magical which looks great apparently. This will be one of the regular idents.

VM
VMPhil
Nice clean copies of a couple of the new idents:

LY
Lynetwork
So the coloured fabric ident is called Sharp? That makes a lot more sense since the names of the idents are mostly adjectives.
:-(
A former member
I have been told BBC has names and the people submitting the work has names... BBC term for the first once is Slice

35 days later

MM
MMcG198
A little piece on BBC Two's current OSP - primarily the inconsistencies that have crept in on trails.

https://thetvroom.com/8120/blog/opinion-sort-out-your-trail-endboards-bbc-two/
IS
Inspector Sands
A little piece on BBC Two's current OSP - primarily the inconsistencies that have crept in on trails.

Someone (you I assume) obviously has far too much time in their hands

What a load of trivial pedantic whinging
HA
harshy Founding member
I’ve worked in many a company where you build them something really nice, fits the design rationale, only for the client who always decide to break the design guidelines to suit their own means.
:-(
A former member

Crept in? I'd contend they were there from the start (and I noted this in the Gallery) - but they are getting progressively worse.
JU
Justin

I'm a little more annoyed by how the videos are embedded on this page rather than whether the BBC Two trailers are using a superscript "th" in the programme date.

MM
MMcG198
What a load of trivial pedantic whinging

What you consider to be trivial and pedantic items are actually key elements within any design package. BBC Two's OSP - and countless other design projects - will have been delivered with strict rules surrounding typography and layout. These rules tend to get into a good level of detail (some of which are even more "trivial" than the items mentioned in the article). Yes, to the vast majority of the viewing public, these items seem trivial (as noted in the article) but from a professional design perspective, they are important. Important enough for organisations such as ITV and Channel 4 (and many others) to follow such rules quite meticulously. Channel 4 has always been outstanding in this regard. I understand that ITV has a good deal of automation in the workflow for construction of trails and their associated endboards, thus removing many of the manual errors we see on BBC Two's trails.

Having worked and spoken with many designers over the years, there is nothing as deflating as handing over a design, and seeing the client gradually butcher it over time and deviate from the rules. I suspect in BBC Two's case, the problems are not due to any conscious decision - most of the issues look like simple sloppiness.
cylon6, Colorband and denton gave kudos

Newer posts