The Newsroom

STV News

(January 2011)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
Often with breaking stories, the first reports you get are sketchy in detail. ISTR 9/11 was that there was a fire at the WTC and there was some suggestion that a light plane might have crashed. That was it. As there were some live pictures (courtesy I think of one of those US newscopters) the editorial team thought this was of enough interest to run (and frankly there were good pictures available, so it made sense to show them to help tell the story). There's no need to continue as we all know what happened next and yes, it was an appalling way of getting coverage on practically every broadcaster in the world,

I think the appetite for pictures on breaking stories has changed in the UK since 9/11. We're a long way off launching helicopters to chase getaway cars, and I do hope that never happens, but UK media does now rely on social media footage to an extent, particularly in getting pictures on the television early on in a developing story.
bazinga and Markymark gave kudos
MA
Markymark
Often with breaking stories, the first reports you get are sketchy in detail. ISTR 9/11 was that there was a fire at the WTC and there was some suggestion that a light plane might have crashed. That was it. As there were some live pictures (courtesy I think of one of those US newscopters) the editorial team thought this was of enough interest to run (and frankly there were good pictures available, so it made sense to show them to help tell the story). There's no need to continue as we all know what happened next and yes, it was an appalling way of getting coverage on practically every broadcaster in the world,

Indeed. I watched it all unfold in the studio gallery of a UK broadcaster. At first everyone in the room thought it was an accident, involving a small plane, so live coverage at that stage seemed perfectly reasonable.....
MO
Mouseboy33
delete
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 23 December 2014 12:54pm
MO
Mouseboy33

Let's face it: The reason why the first video from the scene of the crash came fairly late was not because of any ethical considerations, but because none was available.

They don't have the resources or flexibility built into them to handle major breaking news stories, presumable as it's not something they've ever needed or planned to do.

Thank you.

What would be the point putting of putting webcams and 'skycams' across the country? Unless they're high quality, controllable and cover every street in the UK its completely pointless. A skyline camera is mostly useless for news except for a few very rare stories.
You said yourself that Sky used a webcam across the square which showed nothing really...that's filler rather than constructive news coverage

Actually many stations use them for a variety of purposes. For example in Canada they use them in the program opens. (see below) most are use for traffic and weather, also they are able catch major fires or other incidents from a distance say at an airport , and they also are used as intros to and from advert breaks. Some use them as live "beauty shots" sprinkled here and there.
Quote:
cover every street in the UK its completely pointless.

Rolling Eyes right....

Even used during a story to zoom in a on a reporter standing it the Yonge Dundas Square.

As there were some live pictures (courtesy I think of one of those US newscopters)

Actually the first live pics appeared from a tower/skycam in midtown Manhattan. Then they sent choppers.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/dWB3BDAS0RM/hqdefault.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOQB5Xq4NIM
Last edited by Mouseboy33 on 23 December 2014 5:10pm - 6 times in total
:-(
A former member
I would be surprised if STV does not opt out YBF tomorrow and slot in an extra STV news even for 15min.
BA
bazinga

Let's face it: The reason why the first video from the scene of the crash came fairly late was not because of any ethical considerations, but because none was available.

They don't have the resources or flexibility built into them to handle major breaking news stories, presumable as it's not something they've ever needed or planned to do.

Thank you.

What would be the point putting of putting webcams and 'skycams' across the country? Unless they're high quality, controllable and cover every street in the UK its completely pointless. A skyline camera is mostly useless for news except for a few very rare stories.
You said yourself that Sky used a webcam across the square which showed nothing really...that's filler rather than constructive news coverage

Actually many stations use them for a variety of purposes. For example in Canada they use them in the program opens. (see below) most are use for traffic and weather, also they are able catch major fires or other incidents from a distance say at an airport , and they also are used as intros to and from advert breaks. Some use them as live "beauty shots" sprinkled here and there.
Quote:
cover every street in the UK its completely pointless.

Rolling Eyes right....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA1BqoXwVqo
Even used during a story to zoom in a on a reporter standing it the Yonge Dundas Square.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqojteM8Qk4

As there were some live pictures (courtesy I think of one of those US newscopters)

Actually the first live pics appeared from a tower/skycam in midtown Manhattan. Then they sent choppers.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/dWB3BDAS0RM/hqdefault.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOQB5Xq4NIM

Don't think there would be much budget or appetite for helicopters to be used for intros/ into breaks or even for Travel and Weather here in the UK. I imagine there would be many complaints here, such as ' waste of license fee'. I assume it's different in the USA and Canada.

59 days later

A former member
Is this the First time Lucy white has presented the STV Edinburgh news?

31 days later

A former member
And as said, STV have switched to the Daytime titles.

18 days later

GM
Gary McEwan
Andrea Brymer has just done the 9pm hourly update on STV Glasgow. Why would Aberdeen be doing the updates for a local channel?
BR
Brekkie
Technical issue or a trial run for their own service, or perhaps even just because.
GM
GMc
One of the STV Glasgow reporters has mentioned on Twitter before that Aberdeen regularly output the 7pm and 9pm updates to give the teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh a break - which is a fair point.
PE
Pete19
GMc posted:
One of the STV Glasgow reporters has mentioned on Twitter before that Aberdeen regularly output the 7pm and 9pm updates to give the teams in Glasgow and Edinburgh a break - which is a fair point.

It makes sense to be honest. It's still local news, it's just that it's presented from Aberdeen.

And to be honest Andrea Brymer is not a unknown face to the West.

Newer posts