TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EL
elmarko
It could be GRANADA NCR not MCR. NCR stood for network control room, and is seen at the end of a closedown video on TV ark.

You know, I wasn't sure, the shapes were damn-near unintelligible. Thanks!
JA
james-2001
Looking at that video, it does look like after Yorkshire stopped sending their material, Granada started sending theirs- in addition to the Granada colour bars, you get a VERY brief flash of a Granada VT clock just as channel 4 cuts away.
BL
bluecortina
Sounds similar to the old BACC advert playouts where new adverts were played out twice a week from various facility houses to ITV and other commercial TV companies. That was (in the 90's/2000's at least) all sent out and presumably co-ordinated from LWT.

I'm surprised that they'd play out directly from the feed record tape, I'd assume the ones they wanted would be comped into a cart machine or similar, though if something was only getting a couple of plays then probably not worth doing that

I’m afraid I don’t know anything about C4’s playout of trailers policy. Yes, the comms playout from around Soho was co-ordinated but LWT, one weekday evening and Saturday morning.
BE
Bennyboy1984
This’ll probably be my last post here as I don’t post very often but... clubland are currently having graphics issues, the artist/song at the beginning and end of videos is correct, the bottom right corner is showing wrong artist/song and year.
CU
Curto21
Here's a breakdown from LWT in 1986 where the programme falls off the air:

8 days later

IT
itvblocks
Since TVF is shutting up shop in a few days, I thought I would ask the original question of this thread with a twist.

What was your favourite breakdown that was shared here? Mine has to be the one during Talking Telephone Numbers with the talkback audio, it really gave an insight to the madness that goes on behind the scenes.
FO
FanOfTV99
Since TVF is shutting up shop in a few days, I thought I would ask the original question of this thread with a twist.

What was your favourite breakdown that was shared here? Mine has to be the one during Talking Telephone Numbers with the talkback audio, it really gave an insight to the madness that goes on behind the scenes.

I have to say this one mainly because we got to see two captions.

I do wanna say thank you to everyone who posted their favourite breakdown for the past 4 years in this thread. Honestly, this is the one thread that made me feel welcome on TV Forum. I don't know if I'm allowed to do this thread again at the new place but if I cant, thank you all very much and I'll leave you with some music.

Larry the Loafer and itvblocks gave kudos
IT
itvblocks
I do wanna say thank you to everyone who posted their favourite breakdown for the past 4 years in this thread. Honestly, this is the one thread that made me feel welcome on TV Forum. I don't know if I'm allowed to do this thread again at the new place but if I cant, thank you all very much and I'll leave you with some music.

This thread was the very reason I created this account, it's been a blast sharing breakdowns on here from the past and present.

I hope we'll be able to do this again over on TVLF, but if not, it's been a pleasure.
steddenm, Curto21 and FanOfTV99 gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think my all time classic has to be the double breakdown when Lambing Live fell off air and then Coast failed to play properly.

Or the various versions of ITV making a dog's dinner of playing out a Party Political Broadcast.

Or maybe that time Something for the Weekend fell off air and we got a masterclass from Duncan Newmarch in how to handle a long breakdown.
itvblocks, Si-Co and TIGHazard gave kudos
BL
bluecortina
I suppose my favourite was ‘Lorraine’ failing to get on air when, with about 5 seconds to go, someone spilled coffee or some such into the vision mixer panel which lit up like a Christmas tree and that was that and you could kiss it all goodbye.

Luckily we had a spare panel in storage and managed to swap them over in about 20 minutes. St7 had to fill in by staying on air for that period whilst Lorraine rushed up there to try and continue with something of a programme.
CH
channel4squares1
What I am amazed about sticking with the coffee spill theme was how brave host coped with a coffee spill on BBC Newsroom South East about 40 seconds before they were due to air a live trail before the six o'clock news (1:58 if it doesn't automatically start)
SC
Si-Co
What I am amazed about sticking with the coffee spill theme was how brave host coped with a coffee spill on BBC Newsroom South East about 40 seconds before they were due to air a live trail before the six o'clock news (1:58 if it doesn't automatically start)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XULqsZCze0Y

Incidents similar to this have no doubt happened on many occasions with the viewers at home none the wiser, which is a compliment to professionals in the industry who get the show on the road no matter what mishaps befall them seconds before they are due on air!
DE88, itvblocks and Coronavision gave kudos

Newer posts