TV Home Forum

Smtv Live reunion

(August 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ME
mediaman2007
According to the description, this video's from the 3rd October, so the 6th edition if that's correct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duSshyjP3jU

Mission control has gone by this point, but still has the original theme tune and the "Ant waking up screaming" intro- though that vid only has the very end of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-29fFvA7qkE

And this video with bits from a couple of episodes in November. The new theme tune is now in place, there's an audience and the CD:UK pre-show idea is totally gone. They've introduced the "Wonkey Donkey" theme tune too, as I remember on the earliest episodes just had Ant shouting one word and Dec the other to introduce it.

It's funny how it all evolved slowly into the show we loved. The more classic version of the theme tune didn't come until September 1999 and the background studio theme was slowed down and sounded much better. Then of course they also relaunced with a brand new set in September '99 too - much bigger for a large audience and the "comedy zone" where they would do Challenge Ant etc was turned into this cool silver background set with them using SMTV branding on it during SMTV then using it with CDUK branding for CDUK interviews. Worked really well.
ME
mediaman2007
If they want to use footage from CD:UK it will be a different kettle of fish seeing as the rights are separate. Will be a bit strange if there's no CD:UK footage in there at all though seeing as they were effectively the same show and interlinked.

I have seen CDUK broadcast quality footage used on one or two "look back" shows over the years, maybe the ITV2 band reunion show too, so perhaps they just approached the American rights holder.
JA
james-2001
Yeah, it's not like it doesn't exist, it's just they'll have to buy it in from Shout Factory, if they had the will, time or money to do that. Not as simple as the SM:TV footage which Ant & Dec own themselves.
ME
mediaman2007
Yeah, it's not like it doesn't exist, it's just they'll have to buy it in from Shout Factory, if they had the will, time or money to do that. Not as simple as the SM:TV footage which Ant & Dec own themselves.

Actually it's all done via Historic Films in New York - some of the episodes are available for free here https://www.historicfilms.com/search/?q=Cduk&q=Cduk#p1t38385i0o3484&video=online
JA
james-2001
The first episode I opened (June 9th 2001, my 15th birthday as it happens!) up seems to be a "clean" version without the original captions, interestingly.

I presume Historic Films handle it on Shout Factory's behalf.
ME
mediaman2007
The first episode I opened up seems to be a "clean" version without the original captions, interestingly.

Yeah not a lot on there you can view. Years ago they had a lot of it free and you could see Ant, Dec and Cat preparing for the next link etc. There was even a Tess Daly episode of SMTV on there which must have accidently made its way to America when Zenith Entertainment closed. I see lots of CDUSA episodes on there now too.
JA
james-2001
The June 26st 2001 edition on that lunk rather uniquely even has the CD:UK DOG in the corner, it wasn't usually on the late night or ITV2 repeats. Seems unusual it's actually recorded into the archive copy here. It's not on any of the other episodes available for view.

The bottom of the frame is cropped off on the preview video of that edition too...
Last edited by james-2001 on 23 December 2020 9:55pm - 2 times in total
ME
mediaman2007
The June 26st 2001 edition on that lunk rather uniquely even has the CD:UK DOG in the corner, it wasn't usually on the late night or ITV2 repeats. Seems unusual it's actually recorded into the archive copy here. It's not on any of the other episodes available for view.

The bottom of the frame is cropped off on the preview video of that edition too...

Here is the full collection of CDUK and CDUSA episodes and pre recorded performances etc https://www.historicfilms.com/search/?q=Collection%3Asf&q=Collection%3Asf Who knows maybe even the pilot episode is in there. Shame you have to be a company and pay.
ME
mediaman2007
That is very strange about the CDUK DOG as the DOG was usually originated from ITV rather than the programme. Same with the CITV DOG during SMTV.
Last edited by mediaman2007 on 23 December 2020 9:56pm
JA
james-2001
Also another edition from 2001 (the one listed as SF-11) on there which does have the original captions, but the picture is blank during the chart, hotshots & news segments (though the intro animations are there), which is unusual! Maybe it was pre-recorded and the news and chart segments were added later? Also only seems to be about 20 minutes long, must have been a forumula 1 week or something where it was cut down. I wonder how many versions of some episodes they have, and if the as broadcast ones have always been saved? This feels like it's getting very similar to some of the TOTP discussions we've had...
Last edited by james-2001 on 23 December 2020 10:03pm
ME
mediaman2007
Also another edition from 2001 (the one listed as SF-11) on there which does have the original captions, but the picture is blank during the chart, hotshots & news segments (though the intro animations are there), which is unusual! Maybe it was pre-recorded and the news and chart segments were added later? Also only seems to be about 20 minutes long, must have been a forumula 1 week or something where it was cut down. I wonder how many versions of some episodes they have, and if the as broadcast ones have always been saved? This feels like it's getting very similar to some of the TOTP discussions we've had...

I'd say a master copy of every episode was saved, as has been the norm for at least 20 years. Maybe things get lost later on but with a show on air the archive would probably be pretty complete. I saw on Historic Films years ago free to view CDUK episodes which were free of VTs, graphics etc. So you'd see the links and performances as they were on TV but then see what was going on in the studio during VTs and ad breaks etc. The only reason i can think of having this version is if they want to repeat a performance later on free of graphics. It's like a completely clean version of the output.
ME
mediaman2007

Yeah just watched it and looks like a pre record. The clock starts at 10:00 rather than 11:30 for live shows.

Newer posts