TV Home Forum

Tim Davie Appointed BBC Director General

(June 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NT
Night Thoughts
Surprise, surprise:

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/09/04/46839/theres_no_war_on_left-wing_comedy%2C_says_new_bbc_boss

cmthwtv, Cando and JetixFann450 gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
‘I would like a multitude of flavours in our comedy. It’s not about stopping one [side]… that’s just nonsense.’

Well if he wants a multitude of comedy how about about an hour of "left wing" comedy on one night followed by an hour of "right wing" comedy the following night.
IS
Inspector Sands
‘I would like a multitude of flavours in our comedy. It’s not about stopping one [side]… that’s just nonsense.’

Well if he wants a multitude of comedy how about about an hour of "left wing" comedy on one night followed by an hour of "right wing" comedy the following night.

You've got to get off this 'left wing comedy', 'right wing comedy' thing... its a nonsense and it was just the fevered dream of a Telegraph reporter

Dividing everything up into 'right' or 'left' is a very dangerous thing to do
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 5 September 2020 1:43pm
NL
Ne1L C

You've got to get off this 'left wing comedy', 'right wing comedy' thing... its a nonsense and it was just the fevered dream of a Telegraph reporter

There's no other way I can think about it. I grew up with strong ideas about was was "left" and "right" in politics but the last few years seems to have "mutated" those ideals. If there's any other way of looking at it then I will.
IS
Inspector Sands

There's no other way I can think about it. I grew up with strong ideas about was was "left" and "right" in politics but the last few years seems to have "mutated" those ideals. If there's any other way of looking at it then I will.

Life is much more nuanced than a binary category. 'left' and 'right' are broad categories, not only does it miss out the centre - the 3rd party in national politics, albeit diminished these days, is neither left or right wing. Also of course when you go to the extremes or the middle they end up the same.

Then there's the y axis of the political spectrum - authoritarian and libertarian, just saying someone is left or right ignores that side. Also people's opinions on various subjects don't all co-incide in the spot on the spectrum, someone might be economically conservative but socially liberal, or left wing economically but very conservative socially.

That's also why something like Brexit cannot be considered a policy from anywhere in the spectrum - the most 'left wing' (Tony Benn, Jeremy Corbyn) and the most 'right wing' (Nigel Farage) politicians are anti EU, but for very different reasons.

I'm not saying the terms aren't correct to use, it's just by themselves they're not helpful. The mutation as you put it is deliberate, created by those seeking to create division - divide and rule
NL
Ne1L C
( Takes asprin with glass of water)

Based on that analysis the spectrum isn't a straight line to me. It's more of a circle. It looks to me that the BBC have got a nigh-on impossible job to create a perfect balance if indeed its even vaguely possible It seems to me that "balance" is going to be less specific and more like something that is going to just be "visible" on screen. I'm not even sure even that analysis is viable. Shocked
PE
Pete Founding member
Inciently that's one of the reasons why panel shows struggled to make it to the US - the execs struggle with a 'game' that's played for fun. The scoring on Whose Line was a bafflement to them and often got questioned. Even those with a quiz element (with point for correct answers) are only for fun as the editing ruins the continuity

I was at a recording of a pilot of a panel show and we (the audience) had to record three endings, Team A wins, Team B wins, its a draw. The actual winner of the show would depend on how they edited the show down to keep the funniest parts.
NL
Ne1L C
Shocked Very Happy
PE
Pete Founding member
It’s shows like The Mash Report, where it’s clear what Nish’s politics are, and the smug I’m right you’re wrong way he tells his jokes.

Don’t say that on twitter though, yesterday anyone who doesn’t like Nish Kumar was an extreme right wing brexiteer racist. There apparently couldn’t be any other reason why you’d not like him.

Nail on the head there mate. I have a particular issue with many on the left who talk about anyone who doesn’t agree with their politics as if they are a bad person, whereas most of us want the same outcome (a better life for people) but don’t necessarily agree on the method of getting there.

Obviously Twitter is where nuance goes to die, but the original discussion was why does Nish Kumar get all the hate for TMR whereas Russell Howard's Good News (which was also a smug leftie going 'omg the daily mail') doesn't?

Of course the answer "well a minority of people will using unconscious bias due to his race but also RHGN hasn't been on tv for years and got a far smaller audience and wasn't relentlessly pushed as a flagship comedy show by the BBC's marketing dept and it was before years of twitter and brexit had poisoned political discourse" but ofc on twitter that boils down to "because brexit racists" very quickly
Last edited by Pete on 5 September 2020 10:54pm
AndrewPSSP, Jon and what gave kudos
NL
Ne1L C
I've watched RHGN and I will admit the social comments were at first jarring but as time went on I realised how passionate he was about social justice. Yes he does use humour to get his point across but his determination to point out how absurd things are is laudable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLigW9syrsc

(Not from RHGN but the principle is the same)
IS
Inspector Sands
( Takes asprin with glass of water)

Based on that analysis the spectrum isn't a straight line to me. It's more of a circle.

Yes it is just that. Eddie Izzard did a routine about it being like fashion.....
NL
Ne1L C
I think this photo sums up my feelings best:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=Jp2bbPB%2b&id=3F8D01F1BF008A15FBC3BD953E83F41461535DD2&thid=OIP.Jp2bbPB-Vk7dGCbCWKqSkAHaFC&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fpbs.twimg.com%2fmedia%2fD9YmvNgXoAAyjxW.jpg%3asmall&exph=392&expw=576&q=bruiser+brody&simid=607998297852153777&ck=B7B3C8518EB97017B9B5ED6D29B7A31C&selectedIndex=69&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0

Newer posts