TV Home Forum

BBC Two 2018 Revamp

New ident ‘Discovery’ - p89 (September 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
AS
Asa Admin
Well that was a waste of me auto tagging those idents on TV Home! Laughing

Unexpected but hopefully great news. Let's keep our fingers crossed that whoever or whichever agency has been involved has thought of every aspect of the presentation and we lose those awful endboards and random font sizes.

It's was great to see the 2s again, and nice that they continued to stay long after the birthday celebrations but it's time for something new. Network always kept a small rotation anyway, it was NI who went the extra mile with a great set. Neither package that after the originals could beat those 2s so it's probably best to head in a new direction.

Too much to ask for the director tomorrow night to give them one final send off? I miss seeing Kebab.
JO
Jonny
Well, well... how unexpected.

Hoping the surrounding presentation has been thought through. I have horrible horrible visions of that teal box surviving and being slapped on top in typically incongruous fashion.

Is someone able to record tomorrow's junctions, particularly NI? Long overdue, but an ending of an era!
MD
mdtauk
Those original 2 idents have been working overtime for far too long. BBC Two has been spiralling for over a decade now. I don't like the talk of the identity being cheaper, as a selling point. But if the intention is to create a great many ident films based around a shared theme - then that is getting the spirit of the original Twos, whilst being new and fresh.

Mentioning the cheaper word, will also help it sell the re-brand when the press start to report on it. The headlines wont be "BBC TWO WASTING MONEY ON THE BITS OUTSIDE THE PROGRAMMES".

I hope the box logo changes, possibly something along the lines of the CBBC and BBC Three logos, or something entirely new which could work for ONE and FOUR also.

It is also a little unclear in the content. Is it only on Thursdays that the new identity is used, or From thursday the whole channel rebrands. The headline suggests its a Full Rebrand, so I am guessing its the later.

Last edited by mdtauk on 25 September 2018 7:22pm
A former member
Does Ident central have a hint of whats to come?

RO
rob Founding member
Does Ident central have a hint of whats to come?

Check the original article. They've updated it... Wink
TI
TIGHazard
Asa posted:
Well that was a waste of me auto tagging those idents on TV Home! Laughing

Unexpected but hopefully great news. Let's keep our fingers crossed that whoever or whichever agency has been involved has thought of every aspect of the presentation and we lose those awful endboards and random font sizes.

It's was great to see the 2s again, and nice that they continued to stay long after the birthday celebrations but it's time for something new. Network always kept a small rotation anyway, it was NI who went the extra mile with a great set. Neither package that after the originals could beat those 2s so it's probably best to head in a new direction.

Too much to ask for the director tomorrow night to give them one final send off? I miss seeing Kebab.

You never know Asa, it'll be 100 years of the BBC in 4 years so maybe they'll return again, if only just for a day/week/month.

Jonny posted:

Is someone able to record tomorrow's junctions, particularly NI? Long overdue, but an ending of an era!

I was actually planning to record all the junctions tomorrow to prepare myself again for the 2018 version of this.

So I'll try to record both Network and NI. Seems like I picked a good day to prepare.
TI
tightrope78
The 90’s 2s are tired and have been used to death. Time to retire them whilst we still remember them fondly.

Some people round here need to stop living in the past.
bkman1990, JCB and Brekkie gave kudos
RO
Rofters
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/sep/25/bbc-two-first-full-rebrand-25-years
DB
dbl
It's drastic but needed. I mean to be honest, I'm surprised no one saw this coming, the 2's have been oversaturated and its not helped that they brought back the 90s idents which were meant to celebrate their anniversary. They've outstayed their welcome and in the era of Netflix it looks ridiculous, niche channels which get a third of what BBC2 gets in ratings have more swish presentation.

(And I do like the 2's as well)
Last edited by dbl on 25 September 2018 7:37pm
WL
W1LL
Twoness?
Ittr, Quatorzine Neko and paul_hadley gave kudos
A former member
what 2003 Wink

Newer posts