TV Home Forum

Broadcasting House, Salford Quays & TVC

(September 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Important day tomorrow for the future of late night activity at TVC - 35kW of PA going into TC1/2/3 for acoustic tests to see how much noise escapes towards the new homes.

Maybe a silly question but have they done structural work (or whatever) in there that would change things from how it was before?

Don't think so - think it's never been an issue before as the surrounding areas have been offices or other studios. I guess if you are selling pretty expensive, high-end houses, you don't want your residents complaining when there is a music show being recorded next door...
NG
noggin Founding member
Nice new staircase for BBC Worldwide in a newly revamped stage 6 entrance

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125563860@N03/

Interesting. Looks like they have removed the two lifts that used to occupy that central space (unless I've got my bearings wrong). I had heard they were sinking a new lift shaft elsewhere (so I guess that has replaced the original lifts?). They have also had to seal the space off from the now-to-be-demolished Stage V.
DO
dosxuk
Important day tomorrow for the future of late night activity at TVC - 35kW of PA going into TC1/2/3 for acoustic tests to see how much noise escapes towards the new homes.

Maybe a silly question but have they done structural work (or whatever) in there that would change things from how it was before?

Don't think so - think it's never been an issue before as the surrounding areas have been offices or other studios. I guess if you are selling pretty expensive, high-end houses, you don't want your residents complaining when there is a music show being recorded next door...

Correct, these tests are normally linked in to conditions in the planning permission of the site.

Also, AFAIAA, it's the "stage one" tests today - to find out what the current issues are, so they can be dealt with in the forthcoming work, rather than a test of completed work. Another test is normally scheduled after all the work is done to see if everything is as planned.
SP
Steve in Pudsey

Were there ever issues of not being able to use adjacent studios at the same time because a programme in one was too noisy? (Other than Pres B having to stop Whistle Test rehearsals for the weather in Pres A)
NG
noggin Founding member

Were there ever issues of not being able to use adjacent studios at the same time because a programme in one was too noisy? (Other than Pres B having to stop Whistle Test rehearsals for the weather in Pres A)

Not that I'm aware of (though others may know better) - but houses are unlikely to be built to the same acoustic standards as TV studios. You certainly heard spill from studios in ancillary areas.

Two studios next to each other will be in a much better situation (with both having acoustic treatment) than a studio next to a town house.
GE
thegeek Founding member

I'm not sure about adjacent studios - but when a music show was in TC4, you certainly knew about it in CCA. The bass could easily travel well enough for you to be able to name the tune.

From this plan:
http://www.television-centre.com/images/img-plot-bc2.jpg

it appears that residential accommodation is going to go right up against the wall of TC3. Not sure I'd like to live in one of them.

18 days later

TR
TROGGLES
More studio booking jiggling. Wimbledon Studios going bust has meant a bit more work for S&PP & with Riverside closing shortly things can only get worse. This wonderful 'stick your head in the ground' comment made me smile ... "we’ve been able to work with them to ensure the efficient turnaround of Stage 9.” Unlike TVC Elstree isn't designed for fast turnaround - just shows what an Idiotic idea it was to sell TV Centre - Nice one Thompson.

http://www.bbcstudiosandpostproduction.com/blog/fremantlemedia-brings-primetime-entertainment/
BL
bluecortina

I'm not sure about adjacent studios - but when a music show was in TC4, you certainly knew about it in CCA. The bass could easily travel well enough for you to be able to name the tune.

From this plan:
http://www.television-centre.com/images/img-plot-bc2.jpg

it appears that residential accommodation is going to go right up against the wall of TC3. Not sure I'd like to live in one of them.

When LWT were constructing St7 (for LNN News) at the London TV Centre, the proposed largest studio wall was slap bang up against, and indeed shared really, the edge of the existing building which housed the air-con and ancillary kit for the main studios - the noise was quite loud as you would imagine and there was a degree of doubt among some that the studio would not be affected.

I have to say though that after the building construction and the professional sound insulation installation was complete, the studio was so quiet that you could hear a pin drop, you couldn't even hear any low level air-con noise. Mind you, the roof leaked from day one.
BL
bluecortina

And on the subject of TVC, here's a documentary from 1971

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NfeRiaREE

Interesting, thanks. Not much has changed I think, we even have modern day electronic 'clunk' generators to simulate the mechanical clunk of the switches the vision mixer was pressing in the production gallery.

43 days later

GO
gottago
The BBC sign has been removed from TC1. Presumably "Television Centre" will be gone soon as well.

I went on the Open House tour of TVC last week and was surprised by how the building was pretty much exactly the same as it was when it closed. Stage Door has barely changed, there's still the odd horrible pot plant remaining in situ and the WHSmith sign is still there. I know it's a big building to clear but after 18 months or so it was a bit surprising to see these sorts of things not in a skip.

I spoke to one of the architects who said the reason why the three studios aren't reipening next year is because they realised that there would be too much noise from the rest of the construction site to make television. You'd think someone would have realised that before.

The Blue Peter garden was looking quite overgrown although this will be retained.
BB
bbcfan2014
The BBC sign has been removed from TC1. Presumably "Television Centre" will be gone soon as well.

I went on the Open House tour of TVC last week and was surprised by how the building was pretty much exactly the same as it was when it closed. Stage Door has barely changed, there's still the odd horrible pot plant remaining in situ and the WHSmith sign is still there. I know it's a big building to clear but after 18 months or so it was a bit surprising to see these sorts of things not in a skip.

I spoke to one of the architects who said the reason why the three studios aren't reipening next year is because they realised that there would be too much noise from the rest of the construction site to make television. You'd think someone would have realised that before.

The Blue Peter garden was looking quite overgrown although this will be retained.

the 'Television Centre" sign stays as that's the name of the new complex. Even the dots remain I think, just not the BBC logo
MA
Markymark

the 'Television Centre" sign stays as that's the name of the new complex. Even the dots remain I think, just not the BBC logo

I went to a talk about the decommissioning of TVC this week, very interesting evening

http://www.rts.org.uk/re-birth-television-centre?quicktabs_1=1#quicktabs-1

I didn't realise the NET 1 and 2 SPGs are still running there (they were required after DSO for quite a while
so that Tunbridge Wells could still get a subtitle feed !)

Newer posts