(March 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
Evan Davis: surprise choice.
AS
ASO
Indeed.

Wow, that's good news. He might not be as tough as Paxman, or scary. But he is great at what he does, he may have a less aggressive approach, but I'm happy.

I'm glad it wasn't Eddie Mair - I prefer him on radio. (doesn't mean I don't like him though)

I'm really happy with this news.
BA
bilky asko
Moz posted:
Can only presume Eddie Mair didn't want it.

Who says he was first choice? I'd say that was bit of an insult towards Evan Davis.
AS
ASO
Eddie Mair said he prefers radio anyway. I prefer him on radio. He's more natural. Even Davis is comfortable (an great) on both.
BR
Brekkie
Evan Davis: surprise choice.

Yet quite obvious when you think about it - moving from the flagship "broadsheet" morning news programme to the evening equivalent. The main problem I have with him though is I only really know impressions of him (guess it was from Dead Ringers), so that's how I think of him.
NE
News96
It appears the summer has well an truly kicked in at Newsnight-As well as Robert Peston Tuesday-Thursday next week, James O'Brien is down to host on both Wednesday 6th and Thursday 7th August.
Last edited by News96 on 25 July 2014 10:51pm
MD
MDQ1
I understand using Peston, but why O'Brien. If they're wanting radio hosts what about Jeremy Vine? Don't you think they could use more BBC guest presenters - Huw Edwards would be good!
DT
DTV
MDQ1 posted:
Huw Edwards would be good!

But he presents the News at Ten (supposedly, he is hardly ever on these days) so it would be quite hard for him to be in Studio E and B simultaneously. He could try it.

I could understand if he did it though, he did start as a Political Correspondent.
GH
George Hill
MDQ1 posted:
I understand using Peston, but why O'Brien. If they're wanting radio hosts what about Jeremy Vine? Don't you think they could use more BBC guest presenters - Huw Edwards would be good!

The last thing newsnight needs is more guest presenters. There's far too many already!
PE
Pete Founding member
MDQ1 posted:

The last thing newsnight needs is more guest presenters. There's far too many already!

Indeed. Only last week there was a spate of suicides due to the horror of so many guest presenters being on Newsnight. It's ruining peoples lives.
Stedixon, VMPhil and Cando gave kudos
MA
Markymark
MDQ1 posted:
I understand using Peston, but why O'Brien. If they're wanting radio hosts what about Jeremy Vine?

Vine was one of Newsnight's regular presenters, before taking over Jimmy Young's lunchtime Radio 2 show 12 years ago.
FN
FromtheNorth
I would suggest this is one of the reasons James O'Brien is presenting.
Good analytical interviewer - calm and controlled with some killer questions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyYoL9ngtE

Newer posts