TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain - the launch

(April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
Its not an exclusive if nobody else wanted to speak to him.
WH
Whataday Founding member

And you know this to be the case?
AS
ASO
Sorry if this has already been posted, but the towns in the weather bit are now alphabetical.
AS
ASO
I'm watching on demand the interview with Cameron - let's just compare it to old Daybreak interviews to high up politicians, Kate and Adrian spring to mind... There's no doubt that content has improved.

But, it was quite short!
CA
Cando

And you know this to be the case?

Really... it's Freddie Starr reheating the exact same stuff he said in 'exclusive' interviews to the tabloids last week. The BBC certainly wouldn't touch it and if SKY did it they wouldn't pretend it was the mornings top story.
SF
Selwyn Froggatt
Apologies if this has been asked, but what happens with the titles and the backdrop during the winter months, when it'll be dark at 6.00am? Will the titles and backdrop reflect this, will look a bit strange if they don't
BR
Brekkie
You'll find out in the winter.
SF
Selwyn Froggatt
You'll find out in the winter.

Haha
JA
jamesrl
Also as a side note, Both the main stories on Daily Mail at this moment are of Good Morning Britain exclusives (David Cameron and Freddy Starr). That'll be good publicity!! More exclusives like that could attracted a greater audience, and just shows the advantage of being based in London, which needs to be fully appreciated and used by ITV if they're after success.

A "Freddy Starr exclusive"? Urgh. A new nadir even for ITV breakfast. Far from "attracting a greater audience", this is a solid nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Move along... nothing to see here.

The Freddie Star story was the lead on most news programmes at the end of last week. First interview seems like an exclusive to me!
GS
Gavin Scott Founding member
The Freddie Star story was the lead on most news programmes at the end of last week. First interview seems like an exclusive to me!

No, it wasn't.

In any event, if it seems worthy to you, then I suppose you fit the demographic they were aiming for.

The same cannot be said for me.
ST
Stuart

I'm not really sure that sex abuse allegations, albeit ones that have been withdrawn, are really a suitable topic for Breakfast TV when a large proportion of the audience are likely to be children getting ready for school. I suspect some awkward questions were being asked in some households this morning.

I didn't see the programme, but from the reports I've read, it seems that Starr became quite upset at the line of questioning and the suggestion that he may have been responsible for his actions being misunderstood.

No doubt it was his choice to do the interview, but taking advantage of a man who has perhaps suffered enough over the last 18 months isn't really entertainment or news: it's voyeurism of the worst kind.

This sort of tabloid journalism doesn't do much for GMB's credibility, and even less for the ITV(ITN) news brand they have on display most of the time in their ticker.
AS
ASO

No, it wasn't.

In any event, if it seems worthy to you, then I suppose you fit the demographic they were aiming for.

The same cannot be said for me.

How rude can you get?

Anyway... I agree with Stuart that it's not really Breakfast TV worthy content, and very tabloidy. I sometimes feel like they're just trying to get viewers with stories like that. It seems a bit desperate and it is at the expense of really hard news content.

I have to say though, with the exception of the wheel of trash and entertainment stuff, the content is news based and pretty good IMO.

It was very upsetting for Starr. But maybe that's because Susanna Reid is rubbishy. I really hated her in that interview. She wasn't sympathetic, she conducted it poorly, and terrible questions. He was obviously expecting a sympathetic interview which he didn't get. Instead he got a Susanna's attempt at hard-hitting journalism.

Newer posts