TV Home Forum

Susanna Reid to join revamped ITV breakfast show?

ITV breakfast to move to Studio 5 - Changes planned for April 28th (February 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SA
salfordjohn
TV-am launched with the Famous Five and viewers preferred to watch the relative unknowns on Breakfast Time.

Breakfast Time "unknowns?" Er... don't think so. Frank Bough from the BBC's Grandstand and Selina Scott formerly of ITN's News At Ten were hardly "unknowns"!

The word "relevant" being the important word here.

I don't see the word 'relevant' anywhere...!
SI
simon1970
TV-am launched with the Famous Five and viewers preferred to watch the relative unknowns on Breakfast Time.

Breakfast Time "unknowns?" Er... don't think so. Frank Bough from the BBC's Grandstand and Selina Scott formerly of ITN's News At Ten were hardly "unknowns"!

Neither did I!
NE
Neil__

Neither did I!

I'd say it was pretty obvious it was a typo for 'relative', reading from the context.
VM
VMPhil

Neither did I!

I'd say it was pretty obvious it was a typo for 'relative', reading from the context.

Yes, apologies.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Yes, the Breakfast Time team were RELATIVE unknowns compared to the names that launched TV-am.
JW
JamesWorldNews
Except, they weren't! Frank Bough was one of the biggest names on British television at the time, hosting Match of the Day, Grandstand and Nationwide.

Selina Scott was with News at Ten. Hardly an obscure television programme.

Granted, Debbie Rix, Nick Ross and Francis Wilson weren't mainstream at the time.

I guess relative is 'relative'. Smile
simon1970 and Ben Shatliff gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
Except, they weren't! Frank Bough was one of the biggest names on British television at the time, hosting Match of the Day, Grandstand and Nationwide.

Granted, Debbie Rix, Nick Ross and Francis Wilson weren't mainstream at the time.

No, relative is based on whatever context it is used in. None of the Breakfast Time team were anywhere near as famous as the 'Famous Five' on TV-am. Nor was Breakfast Time so based around its hosts in the way TV-am was.
MA
Markymark

Hadn't Debbie Rix come from LWT's LE dept ? Something in the back of my mind says she
had appeared on Game For A Laugh ? It was still from relative obscurity of course.
BS
Ben Shatliff

No, relative is based on whatever context it is used in. None of the Breakfast Time team were anywhere near as famous as the 'Famous Five' on TV-am. Nor was Breakfast Time so based around its hosts in the way TV-am was.

I am sorry but I intend to highly disagree with your point here. You have been told already that the two main presenters were already household names when Breakfast TV started. Frank Baough and Selina Scott were in the same mold as the Famous Five that launched TVAM only they were on BBC; that is the only difference. I think you are trying to argue your way to proving an un-valid point.

Breakfast TV 1983, BBC came first, then TVAM - both used big names to launch their new products which was new for Britain at the time.

Argument lost - all names on all programmes were big names.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Breakfast TV 1983, BBC came first, then TVAM - both used big names to launch their new products which was new for Britain at the time.

Argument lost - all names on all programmes were big names.

I don't recall anyone making you TV Forum's Official Arbitrator 2014.

All names on all programmes were big names? Even if I were to concede that Frank Bough had same level of fame as David Frost or Michael Parkinson, and Selina Scott as Anna Ford or Angela Rippon (which is nonsense), there is absolutely no disputing that TV-am launched with all stars blazing whereas Breakfast Time's team overall were much lower key. That point is laboured time and time again in every retrospective documentary or book.

And besides all this, no matter what your opinion is of who's more famous than who, the basic point being made was that in the past when breakfast formats rely on personalities over content, they are doomed to failure.
BS
Ben Shatliff
I agree on your last point totally. I liked Daybreak as it was initially although I was not keen on Christine Bleakley. They way it is now is fine; but why change it and why rely on one person just because they are good at dancing? They have people on ITV News who never get a mention; Natasha and Nina. Why not get those two on the programme; both very professional and stunning women too.
SW
Steve Williams
Hadn't Debbie Rix come from LWT's LE dept ? Something in the back of my mind says she
had appeared on Game For A Laugh ? It was still from relative obscurity of course.

She presented Game For A Laugh after she'd left Breakfast Time. In Frank Bough's Breakfast Book (a right riveting read), he says that the papers painted Rix as having being plucked from total obscurity as a secretary, but in fact she'd been a researcher and very occasional reporter for BBC current affairs, so new to virtually all viewers.

Newer posts