TV Home Forum

The Christmas TV Thread 2012

(November 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
The Snowman and The Snowdog got 4.33 million viewers for its first showing.
VM
VMPhil
I don't like how Channel 4 broadcast the original Snowman nowadays - it's cropped to 16:9 but I think what disappoints me the most is that they don't show the original introduction by Raymond Briggs anymore, something that I grew up with as it was on the copy of it I had on video, and even a CD-ROM. I guess the Santa introduction is more upbeat and happy but then again that's not really what the short is about.

If anyone's interested - here it is.
RD
rdd Founding member
The Snowman and The Snowdog got 4.33 million viewers for its first showing.

Saw the E4 repeat this morning - would have to agree its basically a remake rather than a sequel.
:-(
A former member
what has happened to the QI XL - Series J - 14. Jingle Bells? on iplayer? There is nornal one but the XL has Series H
LO
lobster
I have to say, I think Christmas Day TV was a bit better than last year and for me, I think ITV1 won the day, with the evening being dire across the board.

ITV managed to show 3 Disney blockbuster films which is just the sort of thing kids want to see on Christmas Day- the choice of Aladdin, Toy Story and Tangled was a great mix and managed to catch my kids attention in between playing with their new pressies. Room on the Broom on BBC1 was great too though.

I thought the evening with the likes of Emmerdale, Downton Abbey and EastEnders just depressing. It amazes me that audiences fall for the same shabby recycled garbage storylines every year.

A few other greats on the more obscure channels Wizard of Oz, Santa Clause The Movie all getting a showing.

At least the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are on at a reasonable hour this year too - was it a couple of years ago they were shown in a graveyard slot?
BR
Brekkie
They seem to have found their way back to the BBC having been briefly on C4 and C5 (and possibly even Sky?) a few years ago. However I think airing them on BBC4 kind of defeats their purpose - if they were back on BBC2 in the daytime they might find an audience who wouldn't go out of their way to watch them, but on BBC4 at 8pm I'd imagine the audience is mainly going to be the people who know they'll be interested in them.
LO
lobster
that's how I discovered them a few years back, they used to be on boxing day in the afternoon. even if the core theme didn't interest me much, I'd always watch them because I knew i'd discover something new.

it's a shame that the schedulers think all people want to watch is another eastenders death. oh well.
BC
Blake Connolly Founding member
what has happened to the QI XL - Series J - 14. Jingle Bells? on iplayer? There is nornal one but the XL has Series H

The XL version doesn't TX until Saturday 29th. Smile
:-(
A former member

The XL version doesn't TX until Saturday 29th. Smile

So has the wonderful TV guides got it wrong? Typical guides
AS
Asa Admin
For anyone interested Radio 4's Media Show had a discussion this week on the "dark art of festive TV scheduling" with a panel of guests including former head guy at ITV, David Liddiment. Also has David Jason discussing Only Fools. An interesting listen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01pg54l/The_Media_Show_26_12_2012/

Newer posts