TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
They have shown quite a few on Showcase.
RD
rdd Founding member
Well today is the last day of the Premier League season, with Sky covering three matches: Manchester United v Bournemouth on Sky Sports 1, Swansea City v Manchester City on Sky Sports 2, and Stoke City v West Ham United on Sky Sports 3.

As mentioned earlier, its also the last day of the current Premier League TV deals, and the last time the competition will be billed as the "Barclays Premier League".

And its also the last time Setanta Sports will cover a Premier League game live (for now at least, but more than likely for ever, at least under their present name). They've picked Newcastle United v Tottenham Hotspur to go out with.

So this music will be heard for the probably the last time before a live Premier League game:

Those were the 2007-08 titles (designed for Setanta GB), this is the only (bad) copy I can find of the current titles (or nearly - these are from 2013-14, and from the highlights show. The current version is pretty similar except for the clips used).

HA
harshy Founding member
The Setanta titles weren't too bad at all, at least it had a theme tune to it which worked well as a backing track too, I hope next season both sky and bt adopt the official premier league titles, the official ones had a proper theme tune created by David Lowe and was used worldwide.
MR
mromega
The Setanta titles weren't too bad at all, at least it had a theme tune to it which worked well as a backing track too, I hope next season both sky and bt adopt the official premier league titles, the official ones had a proper theme tune created by David Lowe and was used worldwide.

Not going to happen.

Sky's titles have to integrate their Ford sponsorship and they don't want generic titles for their premier rights coverage.
RD
rdd Founding member
If it does happen - and I'm not saying it will - it won't be because Sky want it or BT want it (and I don't think either do) it will be because the Premier League will want it. Next season sees a brand new visual identity for the league, but to get maximum impact they'll eventually want it on air in their domestic market.

I'm not sure Sky or BT would be the biggest obstacle. They would adapt easily enough, and the Ford sponsorship could be overlaid on the generic titles for the duration of its current contract. I think the biggest obstacle would actually be Match of the Day and the prospect of that iconic theme tune disappearing.
GE
thegeek Founding member
Is the official title sequence anything like the 'Premier League World' tiles, because that's pretty rubbish.

that said, what we've seen so far of the new look just makes me think of Adidas advert circa 2012

RD
rdd Founding member
Is the official title sequence anything like the 'Premier League World' tiles, because that's pretty rubbish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLaZeSnQgY

No, I understand that this is it:

I like the music, but not the visuals.
TL
Toby Lerone
While you are saying about the last match on Setanta Ireland today it is also the last live match on Absolute Radio today after 6 years, in case it hasn't been said here next season as the station has decided to not bid for Premier League rights instead comedian Rob Beckett is joining alongside Ian Wright and Matt Dyson to deliver all of the goals, news and reaction to the Saturday games alongside fan phone in features.

See more at: http://radiotoday.co.uk/2016/05/absolute-radio-drops-football-commentaries/

Also the new deal for radio rights have not yet been announced but I fully expect BBC Radio 5 Live and Talksport to maintain the rights they have but I think whoever takes the Saturday Afternoon 3pm (2nd pick) whether 5 live or talksport will probably put the match on either 5 Live Sports Extra or Talksport 2 as Talksport may want to keep Matchday Live around the grounds on Saturday Afternoons.
VM
VMPhil
There's been an evacuation at Old Trafford so the Manchester United match has been delayed, Sky Sports 1 are currently simulcasting the Swansea City v Manchester City match on Sky Sports 2
RD
rdd Founding member
The delay of Manchester United v Bournemouth to 3:45pm means Swansea v Manchester City on both Sky Sports 1 & 2 at the moment.
DV
dvboy
There's been an evacuation at Old Trafford so the Manchester United match has been delayed, Sky Sports 1 are currently simulcasting the Swansea City v Manchester City match on Sky Sports 2

Surprised they have chosen to simulcast that match and not simulcast Soccer Special on Sky Sports News (assuming they can't broadcast anything from Old Trafford right now)
RD
rdd Founding member
United match now postponed

Newer posts