TV Home Forum

Nick Hewer quits Countdown

Anne Robinson announced as replacement - page 11 (December 2020)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Meridian AM
That really is about the worst choice they could have made. Can't see the logic in it at all.

Why the worst?
There are others I thought they may have chosen who I think would have been worse.

At least it's not Alison Hammond or another reality show-type person who seem so much in favour elsewhere these days!

You say you can't see the logic in it. Presumbably it's that Robinson is a well spoken and well read journalist and experienced TV presenter of factual shows and one of the most successful game shows ever.
She is definitely someone I'd prefer them to choose.
I thought Eamonn Holmes would be a good choice; he would be similarly as qualified as Anne.

Yes, maybe she will just to a couple of years, or maybe it will turn out being 10. But I think the rate at which broadcasting and TV trends are changing, who's to say that the programme will even exist in 10 years - certainly in its current format?
JO
Jonwo
That really is about the worst choice they could have made. Can't see the logic in it at all.

Why the worst?
There are others I thought they may have chosen who I think would have been worse.

At least it's not Alison Hammond or another reality show-type person who seem so much in favour elsewhere these days!

You say you can't see the logic in it. Presumbably it's that Robinson is a well spoken and well read journalist and experienced TV presenter of factual shows and one of the most successful game shows ever.
I thought Eamonn Holmes would be a good choice; he would be similarly as qualified as Anne.

Yes, maybe she will just to a couple of years, or maybe it will turn out being 10. But I think the rate at which broadcasting and TV trends are changing, who's to say that the programme will even exist in 10 years - certainly in its current format?

Give the Alison Hammond bashing a rest.
FL
Flux

Why the worst?

I agree with a lot of this. And to your final point, I personally imagine Countdown will be with us as long as Channel 4 is with us as a linear channel. It's safe, cost effective, and there would be an uproar if it was ever axed (even if those kicking up the fuss hadn't seen it since the Carol Vorderman days!)

I doubt it would survive a purely non-linear world though, as it probably relies on channel hoppers or daytime "casual" viewers - it's hardly appointment to view any more.
DE88 and Meridian AM gave kudos
JO
Johnr
When someone sent me a random picture of Anne Robinson on Whatsapp earlier I feared the worst in that I expected to open the news and read 'Anne Robinson dies aged 76'

They should bring back Test The Nation, 'are the bakers beating the white van men?!' I actually have a sealed copy of the Test The Nation DVD, must be worth about 2 quid on eBay by now surely!
UL
ulsterman92
I was an avid viewer in the Jeff & Rachel days but after leaving school and Uni sort of lost interest in it and watched the episodes while working from home this year and I thought Colin Murray was excellent and brought a real enthusiasm to it. I think it's a shame he hasn't been given it to be honest but at the same time with his 5 Live, Quest & Eurosport commitments he mightn't have the time to do it full time. I have no problem with Anne Robinson as such as she was excellent on the Weakest Link but will wait and see.
JC
JCB

Why the worst?

Personally I think Allison Hammond would have been a much more inspired choice.
JE
Jeremy90
Anne Robinson will be a great host. If anyone knows how to do gameshows/quiz shows.... its her
iloveTV1 and Meridian AM gave kudos
TI
This Is Granada
Anne's a great choice, very capable presenter, pulls no punches and takes no bs, and commands authority in how she speaks. My tiny concern is can she keep up with the 'relentless filming schedule'?

Also with Anne busy doing Countdown, that well and truly puts the kibosh on her making a Weakest Link revival.
SL
Shaun Linden
I can hear her now to contestants... 'Is that it?', 'Not very smart, are you?', 'With 57 points to 96, you are the Weakest Wordsmith, goodbye!'
MA
Meridian AM
JCB posted:

Why the worst?

Why do you think Alison Hammond would be a more inspired choice than Anne Robinson?
BR
Brekkie
JCB posted:

Why the worst?

Why do you think Alison Hammond would be a more inspired choice than Anne Robinson?

Why do you think she wouldn't?
MA
Meridian AM
JCB posted:

Why do you think she wouldn't?

I don't work in management at Channel 4, but, per my earlier post, I would say they think Anne is a much better fit for this particular programme, considering her credentials and its viewer demographic.

I agree with you, Brekkie, that it would have been nice for Colin to get the job, considering he had been covering the role for this short time.
However, for whatever business or personal reasons, he obviously didn't get the job (if he even wanted it, which we don't know!), so I reckon we should just give Anne a chance, as she just might turn out to be as good as Colin.

Newer posts