The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MQ
Mr Q
Danish election night started over an hour ago, DR seem to be covering it on all three channels (DR1-3), although DR3 is geo-blocked for me. DR1 are broadcasting from a room within or very close to Parliament itself, and people are constantly marching through in the background! Heavy use of CG and on-screen graphics to avoid cluttering their path with screens and monitors, which is clever.

Watch live: https://www.dr.dk/tv/live/dr1#!/

Yes, the main coverage on DR1 was much the same as for last year's EU elections, 2013 local election and even the last parliamentary elections in 2011. And yes, they film inside the parliament building (Christiansborg).

In addition to live coverage on DR1, 2 and 3, the hosts of their late night news comedy 'Monte Carlo på DR3' also hosted an online-only livestream. From the brief glimpses I saw, I think they were in a room at Christiansborg too. Certainly plenty of different choices for viewers!

Meanwhile, TV2's coverage was based in a studio they set up outside Christiansborg - they've had two mobile studios set up outside since the election was called a few weeks ago.
AK
aktuell24
Norway's public broadcaster NRK redesigned its main Evening News "Dagsrevyen":

Local News:

The theme is composed by the electronic music duo "Röyksopp".
Mouseboy33, dbl and WW Update gave kudos
MQ
Mr Q
While I quite liked the old titles for NRK, there's something quite striking about the new package they've put together. I really like the title theme for Dagsreyven. My only concern is that the titles are a bit looooong - I wouldn't be surprised if some bright spark has the idea of hacking them apart.

Not sure how I feel about the NRK Nyheter logo. Feels slightly unbalanced in that circle.
NG
noggin Founding member
First glance the studio opening with the time of day in the wall is quite similar to how some DR news bulletins start. Looks quite clean and fresh - and I do like the music and the animation design. They are also confident enough to break up their logo.

Not sure about the split desk. Titles are too long - and I'm never convinced by 'image and lifestyle' type title sequences.

As with their previous studio, the visual elements behind the presenters are clean and crisp, and I like that it's no longer just a 'set' but has some sense of location (even if it is an artificial location) behind the presenters, and the simulation of frosted glass works well (and kind of nods back to their previous look a bit?)
Last edited by noggin on 20 June 2015 7:19pm

10 days later

MO
Mouseboy33
IMO They did a nicer job of handling the camera tracks that run around the anchor desk. Instead of the railroad freight tracks that you see elsewhere. Expecting to see the 6:15 from Manchester arriving on track 3 any moment. This seems a cleaner solution.
http://i0.wp.com/www.newscaststudio.com/wp-content/gallery/nrk/ncs_nrk_13.JPG
WW
WW Update
Before 1997, when CNN launched a dedicated Spanish language service for Latin America -- CNN en Español --, several Spanish-language newscasts aired on CNN International every day, but only on the channel's Latin American feed. (However, the first part of a Spanish newscast did air on the European feed once when the channel was experiencing technical difficulties.) The newscasts originated from a corner of the Headline News newsroom:

CH
Charles
That's some very interesting information. I was not aware of that! Do you know whether the Spanish newscasts replaced editions of World News or other programming?
WW
WW Update
That's some very interesting information. I was not aware of that! Do you know whether the Spanish newscasts replaced editions of World News or other programming?

I believe one edition replaced a replay of Larry King Live, but I'm not sure about the rest. It's been 20 years!

Glad you liked the post.
MO
Mouseboy33
30 Rock is to be renamed COMCAST Building and will now sport a NBC peacock.
Comcast Building - NY
NBC Tower - Chicago
http://jonreese.com/clients/tpi/images/rooftops/nbc-tower/nbc-tower-01.jpg
RK
Rkolsen

I understand Comcast wants their name associated with a (supposedly) world famous building/trophy property but I think many others (myself included) would prefer if the peacock was the only sign on the building. If I'm not mistaken I believe this is the first time NBC or it's logo has been at the top of the building. NBC has been there since the building opened 82 years ago and it's quite frankly long over due. From what I've read Comcast is restoring the building to it's former glory by bringing back elements that were long gone and forgotten such as a dramatic two story entry foyer with a large (marble?) staircase to greet the guests.

There's also 10 Universal City Plaza, which is owned by Comcast and has their horizontal logo on it.

I believe the upcoming Comcast Innovation and Technology Center in Philadelphia is going to be adorned with the peacock as well.

Also if your ever in Philadelphia you may want to check out Comcast's HQ, the eponymously named Comcast Center. The lobby of the building features a giant video wall that sometimes looks like a regular wall but other times they put on amazing shows that are truly one of a kind.

SC
scottishtv Founding member

This, from 2011:

MO
Mouseboy33
The NBC Tower has sported an NBC Peacock since 1989 when the tower was completed. They were supposed to do a big song and dance on the TODAY show. But the day it was due to launch the SF Earthquake occured the day before. I think they should simply add the peacock and nothing else, similar to the NBC Tower in Chicago.
NBC Tower Entrance on Columbus Drive
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/NBC_Tower,_Chicago.jpg

Newer posts