TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JO
Jon
Looks like Star Sports India are in town as they have their own unilateral cricket feed complete with their own graphics, replay wipes, pundits and presenters (looks like commentators are shared between Sky and Star), I would say Stars graphics are bit more interesting to watch but Sky have at least improved their crickets graphics it has a much more smaller scoreboard.

I think Star's coverage is produced by the same people who do Channel 5's coverage.

And I think 9 still if it's still Sunset+Vine. Do you have any caps of the graphics?
Last edited by Jon on 12 July 2014 1:30pm
HA
harshy Founding member
Jon posted:
Looks like Star Sports India are in town as they have their own unilateral cricket feed complete with their own graphics, replay wipes, pundits and presenters (looks like commentators are shared between Sky and Star), I would say Stars graphics are bit more interesting to watch but Sky have at least improved their crickets graphics it has a much more smaller scoreboard.

I think Star's coverage is produced by the same people who do Channel 5's coverage.

And I think 9 still if it's still Sunset+Vine. Do you have any caps of the graphics?

Sorry this is from an awful mobile stream, it looks like this

I am assuming its Sunset and Vine because the delivery of the coverage is very much in the style of how channel 4 used to cover cricket.
MI
Michael
SS3 having problems with FishOMania coverage at the mo... Breakdown slide featuring extended bumper music (that trilling piano piece) followed by an ad break.
JO
Jon

Yet another pre-season game from an English club free to view via YouTube. This time it's the Premier League champions up in Dundee, the graphics seem to be the same as Premier Sports, although the coverage might be being produced by the same production company.
DA
David
Flood light failure?
HA
harshy Founding member
Jon posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDMY0jdRjPU
Yet another pre-season game from an English club free to view via YouTube. This time it's the Premier League champions up in Dundee, the graphics seem to be the same as Premier Sports, although the coverage might be being produced by the same production company.

City tv is an internet tv station run by mcfc, usually shows highlights of man city games and club news.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Reports tonight that the first tranche of the 2014-5 PL fixtures to be televised will be out either tomorrow or Tuesday, Suggestion that with BTS now having the Charity Shield that their first PL fixture will now not feature the champions. Man Utd v Swansea likely to be their opening match.
IS
Isonstine Founding member
What a coup for the British Thoracic Society.
RD
rdd Founding member
Sky Sports picks:
http://m.skysports.com/article/sports//9381737

BT and Setanta:
http://www.setanta.com/ie/van-gaal-debut-on-setanta-sports-pack/

Also to note, Sky Sports will be available to all Sky, Virgin, UPC, and TalkTalk customers on Saturday 16th August
MI
Michael
In other news, VM have changed their channel numbers in anticipation of the arrival of SS3 and SS4 in HD.

Unfortunately it's bloody confusing.

Before we had 51x relating to the number of the channel, so 511 was SS1, 512 was SS2 etc.

Now, they've shifted them down 10 to the 50x range, but put SSN at 501, SS1 at 502, SS2 at 503 etc.

This makes NO sense, especially given 506 is free! SSF1 is on 507.

Unless it's temporary and SSN will be moving to 506 when SS5 launches.
VM
VMPhil
Unfortunately I think Sky Sports 5 will launch on 506. There are so many things wrong with how they've gone about renumbering the channels. As well as the fact that the channel number and channel names are now out of sync, if you happened to type in 511 there's no temporary channel telling you of the changes, you just get the standard 'channel number doesn't exist' message. It's not the biggest deal in the world, but it is a mild irritation especially if you didn't know beforehand that they were going to change.

Why they couldn't have just done it like this, I don't know.

500 Sky Sports News HD
501 Sky Sports 1 HD
502 Sky Sports 2 HD
503 Sky Sports 3 HD
504 Sky Sports 4 HD
505 Sky Sports 5 HD
506 Sky Sports F1 HD

510 Sky Sports News
511 Sky Sports 1
512 Sky Sports 2
513 Sky Sports 3
514 Sky Sports 4
515 Sky Sports 5
516 Sky Sports F1

That way they could keep the SD channels in the same numbers that they have been for years and years, and there's still room in both the SD and HD line-ups if Sky ever decides to launch Sky Sports 6, 7, 8 and 9. (Which is doubtful, but still nice to have that space).

There wasn't much communication about the changes before they happened either. No email, just a message in the TiVo discovery bar that you only see if you go into the Home screen or your recordings, and even then it doesn't appear all the time, or if you happen to go into the Customer News section regularly which I doubt most customers do.
MI
Michael
I don't get why SSN gets priority over the numbered channels. On all other platforms it comes after.

Newer posts