TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain - the launch

(April 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CC
Cross Channel
They really need to prioritise the news headlines above the light and showbiz features. It's a balance they are simply not making.

By prioritise do you mean run the news for the first 15 minutes at the top of each hour, run news headlines every 15 minutes and run bulletins at half past like we already do?

Thanks for watching.
WH
Whataday Founding member
They really need to prioritise the news headlines above the light and showbiz features. It's a balance they are simply not making.

By prioritise do you mean run the news for the first 15 minutes at the top of each hour, run news headlines every 15 minutes and run bulletins at half past like we already do?

Thanks for watching.

No I think neilly means the whole programme must feel like news is prioritised against lighter features and showbiz news. Ie the opening headlines are indeed that: news headlines. And the news is just that: news. With any showbiz or light stories put in their own slot.

If it's not what neilly thinks, forgive me, but it's what I think.

And if you are in any position of authority at GMB, you really should be thinking less in minutes and more in how the content is presented. Because the answer is more superficial than how many minutes.
CY
cylon6
Why were there only threw presenters today? And the top story should have been D-Day in my view.
CC
Cross Channel

Thanks for watching.

No I think neilly means the whole programme must feel like news is prioritised against lighter features and showbiz news. Ie the opening headlines are indeed that: news headlines. And the news is just that: news. With any showbiz or light stories put in their own slot.

And if you are in any position of authority at GMB, you really should be thinking less in minutes and more in how the content is presented. Because the answer is more superficial than how many minutes.

But why offer a full two and a half hours of constant hard news. GMB offers the mornings news as well as bringing news from the world of entertainment, weather and sport. GMB covers human interest and interviews real people as well as those from the world of music and entertainment.

How would you like to see the content presented, I mean real specifics; if the answer is more superficial than just duration of stories what treatments etc would you like to see on GMB?
TW
tweedledum
Are they not doing a tour every day? With Andi Peters?

I mean the full show presented out
NE
neilly

Thanks for watching.

Absolutely, that's exactly what I think. For the TOTH they need to focus in my opinion the main news and sport headlines, then leave showbiz and human interest features until later. I also think the running order of the main headlines also needs to be looked at. A classic example as Cylon6 quite rightly points out today is the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings a significant global and historical event involving all the key world leaders meeting in Normandy. Yet it was the second story behind an item about an obese child being neglected. In my view the D-Day landings should have been the top story and it is reflective of some of the problems GMB has in terms of content.

In reference, to Cross Channel's point I am not for one minute suggesting that GMB present rolling news from start to finish. Yes, it is important to deliver a mix stories in news, sport, entertainment and human interest. But, the balance between them all is not being achieved. For a programme that is meant to be agenda setting or more engaging it's just not hitting the mark in my opinion. If GMB's content isn't as radically different to Daybreak then how can ITV realistically expect to attract more viewers who are put off by adverts, competitions, or showbiz features. I fully understand they need to connect with the core audience, yet attract new viewers. As I've said before everybody is in entitled to their own opinions, but there is potential for GMB to improve.
AS
ASO
I do agree that D-Day could have been the top story, but so could the Newark by-election. But whatever, the neglected, obese child shouldn't have been the top story.
JK
JK08
I think the order of the top stories at the TOTH gives a massive view on the shows agenda. Having 'Britain has the fattest teenage girls in Europe' as the top story, I wouldn't agree with. The same goes for today's 'Two parents have been arrested because their son is obese'. In my view, the headlines should be the same as what you would expect on News at Ten. News at Ten isn't on ITV Player, so judging by last nights BBC News at 10, their top story was Obama's comments about Scottish independence, and of course the D-Day commemerations. I would rather these supposedly 'human intrest' stories much closer to the bottom of the hour.
dairylee1975, ASO and fanoftv gave kudos
MA
mark Founding member
But why offer a full two and a half hours of constant hard news. GMB offers the mornings news as well as bringing news from the world of entertainment, weather and sport. GMB covers human interest and interviews real people as well as those from the world of music and entertainment.

How would you like to see the content presented, I mean real specifics; if the answer is more superficial than just duration of stories what treatments etc would you like to see on GMB?

I do think GMB is the best breakfast show ITV has ever had. It looks great, I like the presenters, it's informative, and the beefed-up local news is fantastic. I like the mix of news and entertainment and, for me, that's a compelling reason to watch GMB instead of Breakfast.

However, it's the items that are neither informing nor entertaining that put me off. The 'human interest' interviews are probably the main things, purely because they're just not interesting to me personally. The soldier who stopped a woman from getting run over by a train is clearly a great guy - but the interview with him left me feeling neither entertained nor better-informed. Equally, I'm not really sure what I'm meant to do with the news about parents getting arrested because their child was obese.

I also sometimes feel like I'm not getting the full picture. For example, on the day of the Queen's Speech, Breakfast's top story was the whole range of legislation due to be announced, a lot of which was relevant to me. GMB, however, homed in on the fact that we'll have to pay 5p for plastic bags - which is something that didn't strike me as that big a deal, not least because lots of places charge for them already.

Now, of course you could just tell me that, as a guy in his 30s, I'm not the kind of viewer the programme's looking to attract. But I do wonder whether there are also lots of housewives with children out there who aren't interested in the bit that falls between the two stools of information and entertainment and already have a cupboard full of Bags For Life.

Like I said, though, there's still a lot to like about GMB - so I'm sticking with it regardless for now.
HJ
HJL
I think that by expanding Good Morning Britain broadcasting over the weekend could gain more viewers. Breakfast is very sterile and dull (for want of a better word), especially for the weekend so if there was programming similar to GMB on itv, using the same name, even if it was Weekend in disguise than viewers might be more likely to give it a go and if its good make a switch over the weekend. People have more time to choose on a Saturday or Sunday so attracting them then could be really effective IMO. What does everyone else think??

You could also do what they did with GMTV and do Good Morning Britain: Weekend or something, and then brand it the same as GMB. So that if they decide figures aren't worth it afterwards it could be cut without being at the detriment of GMB.
BA
bazinga
For now, I'm sticking with good morning Britain. But, how long will it be before they spook themselves, revert back to the showbiz fluff and axe the presenters.... itv never learn, the tweets they've made have basically turned it back into daybreak. they need to learn. They're so called " top stories" have mostly been human interest guff. And don't get me started on "happening now ".. Richard arnold is ok, but the showbiz should be cut back to once a day, if they insist. Competitions, sponsorships etc do them no favours. Or the wheel of cash.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I think that by expanding Good Morning Britain broadcasting over the weekend could gain more viewers. Breakfast is very sterile and dull (for want of a better word), especially for the weekend so if there was programming similar to GMB on itv, using the same name, even if it was Weekend in disguise than viewers might be more likely to give it a go and if its good make a switch over the weekend. People have more time to choose on a Saturday or Sunday so attracting them then could be really effective IMO. What does everyone else think??

You could also do what they did with GMTV and do Good Morning Britain: Weekend or something, and then brand it the same as GMB. So that if they decide figures aren't worth it afterwards it could be cut without being at the detriment of GMB.

Airing on Bank Holiday Monday was a great success so airing at weekends would be the same Rolling Eyes

It'd just give the papers another stick to bash it with, in this case every week.

Newer posts