The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast

From 6am (April 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Bit of a mess IMO. Just a bunch of mis-matched sparkly effects.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
Ewww. Think I preferred the in-house version from 2011: Opening titles xmas
TL
Three Lefts Do
rob posted:
Christmas titles:

<snip>

In the earliest few seconds of these new Christmas titles, there's a subtle few notes in the music (that sound like a glockenspiel or something), that I swear blind are a nod to a certain old Breakfast News theme.

In the days of both the "globe in a G-clamp" era and the "huge sheet of (CGI) free-standing glass" era looks for Breakfast News, there were some rare occasions (such as on the VE Day 50th anniversary in 1995) that the main title sequence would be preceded by a montage of footage, accompanied by an extended "prelude" section of the theme music as a vamp that would then lead into the usual tune and titles.

The subtle phrase of notes that I swear I can hear at the start of these 2013 Christmas titles, sounds to me like a repeating phrase that occurs in that 1990s "vamp" that I'm talking about. Then again, maybe I'm just imagining it... Embarassed
BB
BBC LDN
rob posted:
Christmas titles:

<snip>

In the earliest few seconds of these new Christmas titles, there's a subtle few notes in the music (that sound like a glockenspiel or something), that I swear blind are a nod to a certain old Breakfast News theme.

[...]

The subtle phrase of notes that I swear I can hear at the start of these 2013 Christmas titles, sounds to me like a repeating phrase that occurs in that 1990s "vamp" that I'm talking about. Then again, maybe I'm just imagining it... Embarassed

Not sure about that.

The first thing it reminded me of was the first 'BBC Breakfast' theme from 2000; the higher-pitched 'jingle' giving way to the deeper 'boom' in both that theme and these new Christmas titles sound very similar, at least to my untrained ears.

ST
Stedixon
rob posted:
Christmas titles:

<snip>

In the days of both the "globe in a G-clamp" era and the "huge sheet of (CGI) free-standing glass" era looks for Breakfast News, there were some rare occasions (such as on the VE Day 50th anniversary in 1995) that the main title sequence would be preceded by a montage of footage, accompanied by an extended "prelude" section of the theme music as a vamp that would then lead into the usual tune and titles.

Know which tune you mean but nope, can't hear any similarities at all.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
If there's any similarity to an old theme, surely it's the original Breakfast Time?
ST
South Today
Roger looked like he was having a giggle at the Xmas title music on Saturday and Sunday!
HB
HarryB
Roger looked like he was having a giggle at the Xmas title music on Saturday and Sunday!

Sally Nugent seemed to show an expression this morning that the titles were impressing her
HB
HarryB
A Vimeo clip of the Christmas titles on Breakfast, uploaded by the creator of the titles himself
http://vimeo.com/82551837
HB
HarryB
Nice little touch from the 7 o’clock TOTH from Business’ Steph

EDIT: Also the floor manager pops into camera before regions have opted in!
Last edited by HarryB on 24 December 2013 8:59am
DF
DrewF
Saw that this morning at 7am and thought it a bit of an odd thing to do. The Christmas music is pretty awful too, especially when it comes after a serious headline!
DK
DanielK
Was looking at James' video of the Christmas graphics, does anyone know why Breakfast (I suppose the nations & and regions too!) hasn't moved to the smaller BBC News logo?

Newer posts