TV Home Forum

The Christmas TV Thread 2012

(November 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gottago
Just something that may interest you. Top of the Pops (for the Christmas and New Year's specials) are still using the titles/theme (although shortened) that were introduced along with the 'All New Top of the Pops' relaunch just over 9 years ago - they've gone back to just showing the 2003 titles (along with a snowy overlay) instead of having a montage of all the titles used over the years.

Is that some record for the longest-running titles for TOTP? Usually they changed when the current music chart style changed, but obviously they haven't bothered since the show is only aired two days of the year now.

Those titles are just foul. They were dated even when they were introduced. Awful music as well.
JO
Jon
Just something that may interest you. Top of the Pops (for the Christmas and New Year's specials) are still using the titles/theme (although shortened) that were introduced along with the 'All New Top of the Pops' relaunch just over 9 years ago - they've gone back to just showing the 2003 titles (along with a snowy overlay) instead of having a montage of all the titles used over the years.

Is that some record for the longest-running titles for TOTP? Usually they changed when the current music chart style changed, but obviously they haven't bothered since the show is only aired two days of the year now.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a late change. They probably didn't want to dwell on 70s TOTP too much. Still had retro logos in the studio though.

For the record, I've noticed TOTP magazine now uses a different logo. It's a good job I'm such a 1D fan or I would have never noticed that.
GO
gottago
And while we're on the subject of TOTP it seems a little odd to me that they're continuing the whole Fearne/Reggie partnership even though they stopped presenting the Chart Show together over three years ago. I understand that they were two of the last presenters before the regular TOTP was axed but as a duo they don't survive elsewhere on TV or radio so don't really feel as current as they used to.
VM
VMPhil

Those titles are just foul. They were dated even when they were introduced. Awful music as well.

Yep - wouldn't mind at all if they just used the updated 3D version of the 1998 titles. Smile

Unfortunately, I can only find the TOTP2 version that used the original version of the Whole Lotta Love theme. Still looks nice though!

:-(
A former member
And while we're on the subject of TOTP it seems a little odd to me that they're continuing the whole Fearne/Reggie partnership even though they stopped presenting the Chart Show together over three years ago. I understand that they were the last two presenters before the regular TOTP was axed but as a duo they don't survive elsewhere on TV or radio so don't really feel as current as they used to.

I know why Reggie is used, he presents the The Official Chart every Sunday 4-7pm.
VM
VMPhil
And while we're on the subject of TOTP it seems a little odd to me that they're continuing the whole Fearne/Reggie partnership even though they stopped presenting the Chart Show together over three years ago. I understand that they were the last two presenters before the regular TOTP was axed but as a duo they don't survive elsewhere on TV or radio so don't really feel as current as they used to.

I know why Reggie is used, he presents the The Official Chart every Sunday 4-7pm.

Not any more, he presented his final show this Sunday just gone.
:-(
A former member

Not any more, he presented his final show this Sunday just gone.

My point still stands Wink if he pops up next year then we'll have question to enquire.
JO
Jon

Regardless, it's a wonder they didn't use Grimmy as the Beeb are trying build his profile.
PT
Put The Telly On
Well, did anyone see The Royle Family? I know it was dedicated to the great Geoff Hughes but the script was just awful, it's definitely lost something now. It's like they've taken the observational quirks out of it which made it great and written in deliberate "jokes" which just meant it didn't flow. I don't like the way they've butchered the character of slow-Joe either.

What did everyone else think? Or were you all watching Downton? Wink
RD
rdobbie
Well, did anyone see The Royle Family? I know it was dedicated to the great Geoff Hughes but the script was just awful, it's definitely lost something now. It's like they've taken the observational quirks out of it which made it great and written in deliberate "jokes" which just meant it didn't flow. I don't like the way they've butchered the character of slow-Joe either.

I also thought it was fairly poor, by Royle Family standards. The show's original magic was thanks to its subtlety and realism, but over the years that's slowly given way to exaggeration and absurdity (Denise and Dave "forgetting" to pick the kids up from school - again, and the whole Joe storyline). And there was too much repetition; the line "vacant lady wanted" was funny the first time but not the 10th time.

On the positive side, I thought the new character Cadgin' Carol from next door was brilliantly written and well observed (because I've had the misfortune to have known people exactly like her). And I do love the way the house has never been improved after all these years, still bearing the scars of the aborted attempt at stripping the wallpaper from an episode 12 years ago.
GE
thegeek Founding member
JCB posted:
I enjoyed the over-looked barely promoted 'Friday Night Dinner' special.

They kept that quiet, didn't they? It's repeated on Friday at 2305, for anyone (like me) who missed it.

I enjoyed Outnumbered too. Mark Heap seems to have got himself typecast as 'weird neighbour', though he does do it well.
AN
Andrew Founding member

And as we are talking about titles not being updated, it's quite amusing that hey are still using the original Royle Family titles after about 15 years with Anthony looking very young.

Newer posts