TV Home Forum

Michael Parkinson

signs up with ITV... (April 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
http://members.lycos.co.uk/ohwhatanight/mp01.JPG

Mary's usual bottle (of what I imagine to be water) is visible under the desk in that shot. She's not very good at hiding it, seen it on many an occasion.
DA
DAS Founding member
Parkinson is produced by the BBC for the BBC. But it doesn't necessarily mean the set and music are exclusive to the corporation - the music ("Michael's Theme") could well be owned by the composer (but I'm not certain). The set is also not necesarilly copyrighted to the BBC. In fact, it could well be possible that Parkinson even uses the same studio, seeing as BBC Resources rent out studio space to producers. As already mentioned, Frank Skinner is an example: it merely hopped across from channel to channel without too many drastic changes.
SD
Steve D
DAS posted:
the music ("Michael's Theme") could well be owned by the composer (but I'm not certain).

It's called 'Parky's Theme' and was composed by the well-known pianist/organist/arranger Harry Stoneham who was the original MD of the show back in the 70s. Harry once included it in a book of his arrangements and compositions, so although it was written specially for the show, I have a feeling he owns the copyright. If I was him (although he's not short of money) I'd be phoning the powers that be at ITV and starting negotiations....!
:-(
A former member
Marcus posted:
It was a gang of five and included Robert Kee

Although it was originally going to be Rippon, Parkinson, Frost, Kee and Rantzen. Ford replaced Rantzen as Esther was pregnant
A former member
DAS posted:
Parkinson is produced by the BBC for the BBC. But it doesn't necessarily mean the set and music are exclusive to the corporation - the music ("Michael's Theme") could well be owned by the composer (but I'm not certain). The set is also not necesarilly copyrighted to the BBC. In fact, it could well be possible that Parkinson even uses the same studio, seeing as BBC Resources rent out studio space to producers. As already mentioned, Frank Skinner is an example: it merely hopped across from channel to channel without too many drastic changes.

But Frank Skinner is produced by Avalon, it was never produced by the BBC. Avalon are notoriously protective about their talent and formats.
DA
DAS Founding member
Larry Scutta posted:
DAS posted:

But Frank Skinner is produced by Avalon, it was never produced by the BBC. Avalon are notoriously protective about their talent and formats.

OK, that's fair enough. But who knows what kind of deal the BBC have going on with Michael Parkinson? Look at the key elements of the programme... the BBC don't own copyright to Michael talking to people. The BBC probably don't own the theme. Even if the BBC acquired copyright from the set designers and title designers (which isn't a given), they could easily be reflected on the other side. And the BBC rents out its studio space. Bingo bango, there's ya show.
A former member
It's just one of those semi-regular channel swaps, every few years Football, Parky, Forsyth, Monkhouse all change over to the other side.... and then they change back again.

Of course there is a history of BBC stars going to ITV and not doing so well. Look at Des Lynam and Bob Wilson. They got bored of Bruce Forsyth after a while and he's back at the BBC. Skinner and Baddiel & Ant and Dec have done well, but then they're young.

I think Parky will soon regret moving over.... that gauranteed 10:00 slot won't last long and after a while ITV will get bored with him especially if his show does as badly as it has been on BBC1 recently.
A former member
DAS posted:
OK, that's fair enough. But who knows what kind of deal the BBC have going on with Michael Parkinson? Look at the key elements of the programme... the BBC don't own copyright to Michael talking to people. The BBC probably don't own the theme. Even if the BBC acquired copyright from the set designers and title designers (which isn't a given), they could easily be reflected on the other side. And the BBC rents out its studio space. Bingo bango, there's ya show.

Bea Ballard and presumably the rest of the production team aren't going over. The graphic design (graphics and set) will be BBC copyright, although why they would want to use that awful set, I have no idea. The title sequence urgently needs changing too
A former member
You can bet though on his new ITV Parkinson show his first guests will be Ant and Dec, his second guests will be Ant and Dec, and his third guest will be Simon Cowell.... with Ant and Dec.
A former member
bloodmakesnoise posted:
You can bet though on his new ITV Parkinson show his first guests will be Ant and Dec, his second guests will be Ant and Dec, and his third guest will be Simon Cowell.... with Ant and Dec.

and the next week... someone from Heartbeat, someone from Coronation Street and someone from GMTV
Rolling Eyes
A former member
Larry Scutta posted:
bloodmakesnoise posted:

and the next week... someone from Heartbeat, someone from Coronation Street and someone from GMTV
Rolling Eyes

Like me, do you get the feeling that this isnt really a good move after all?
A former member
bloodmakesnoise posted:
Like me, do you get the feeling that this isnt really a good move after all?

For once I agree with you.

Think he'll be the new Des Lynam

Newer posts