TV Home Forum

Glasgow blast

How's it being reported (May 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MO
Moz
Sounds quite major. How are the news channels reacting?
GM
nodnirG kraM
Blanket coverage it seems. Except ITVN.
MO
Moz
nodnirG kraM posted:

Thanks. ITVNC needs to buck it's ideas up.
LO
Londoner
To be fair, the ITV News Channel got off to a poor start with its coverage, but seems to have picked up now.

Nicholas Owen broke the story at just after 1 and showed a clip from STV's lunchtime bulletin, but then went on to interview someone from Coronation Street about their visit to Sierra Leone.

For the first 40 minutes or so, ITVNC was looping the same 30-odd seconds of film, whilst News 24 had live pictures of the building itself.

On ITVNC they had a brief live with someone in the Scotland Today studio at about 1.15, and spoke to someone from the fire brigade who didn't know anything.

Whenever I went over to Sky they seemed to have someone on the phone, and a map of the location on screen.

Just after 1.30 Lauren Taylor joined Nick Owen to co-present, and they have had near-continuous coverage since then, this hour with Steve Scott and Lauren - though they did break for an interview with Geoff Hoon just after 2.
CA
cat
News 24 doing very well because they have live pictures of people being pulled out of the rubble and nobody else does.

Sky have been reliant upon endless phone interviews and recorded pictures, and ITV have been fairly crummy.

Definately News 24's day; although Maxine Mahwinney, for a very long time just kept repeating herself with "if you're just joining us" about every two minutes and it's increadibly annoying. Sky might not have pictures but there's a vague sense of continuity.

If Sky have any sense they'll fly Jeremy Thompson in their helicopter up to anchor Live at Five. Might just redeem themselves.
LO
Londoner
Agree with c@t that it's been News 24's day.

I think ITV News is suffering from the absence of its Scotland correspondent Martin Geissler - he's been covering in the Jerusalem bureau recently.
LO
Londoner
Scotland Today is going to be simulcast on the ITV News Channel at 6pm tonight - a good move.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I'm not quite sure how News 24 have managed to get away with endless pictures of the scene - given that people have only started being pulled out the rubble in the past ten minutes.

They did do quite well at 1 O'Clock/Reporting Scotland though, with Louise Batchelor and John Morrison on the scene.

Scotland Today have Shereen Nanjani presenting live from the scene - plus obviously got there faster, because they've got some really good cover shots of firemen running about, and bewildered eyewitnesses, which the BBC are lacking.

It's probably worth noting that both the BBC and Scottish TV are about five minutes' drive away from the site of the explosion, so could have cameras there within minutes, and one of their satellite trucks not far behind - whereas Sky's reporters are based in Edinburgh - a good hour away, plus however long it takes to get a SIS truck on the scene.
GE
thegeek Founding member
News Special on BBC 2 at 3.25pm.

John Morrison's live on Reporting Scotland now
MO
Moz
Live streaming of N24 on bbc.co.uk - I see they're using the bright red LATEST ticker (well the ticker's blue but the bit under the tower is red).
BB
Big Brother Founding member
Moz posted:
nodnirG kraM posted:

Thanks. ITVNC needs to buck it's ideas up.

They did actually spend a whole hour from 1-2 on the explosion and during that hour broke details about the explosion quicker than N24. Seems to have gone down hill since.

Sky appears to be a little slow today, News 24 are doing a marvelous job. Took sky about 15-20 mins I think to get round to the idea that 2 survivors had been removed. However they now report 3 have.
GM
nodnirG kraM
Moz posted:
Live streaming of N24 on bbc.co.uk - I see they're using the bright red LATEST ticker (well the ticker's blue but the bit under the tower is red).

Haven't seen the red rather than orange ticker tower before. Also noticed they couldn't decide whether it was breaking news or not as the caption kept flicking between the bright red BN version and the muted red normal caption!

EDIT: Just broke into BBC Two's schedule, now returned to normal programming.
Last edited by nodnirG kraM on 11 May 2004 3:58pm - 2 times in total

Newer posts